Apr 18, 05: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
Posted by PDXChristine (My Page) on Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 19:50
| We're installing soapstone counters with cherry cabinets, but I'm looking for ideas for the backsplash. My husband thought maybe we could use soapstone for that too, but I wonder if that wouldn't look too heavy. Any ideas? What have you other folks with soapstone done? |
Follow-Up Postings:
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
| Our perimeter cabs will have emerald green soapstone and I've purchased some 4x4 emerald green tumbled marble tiles. Here they are-ss in the middle (oiled) and tiles with a sealer/enhancer on them... ![]() |
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
| We'll be installing bottochino subway tiles with slate mini subway tile accents. The bottochino are tumbled marble with a whitish..but not TOOO white color. I'm hoping it'll look great...at least as good as the samples. |
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
| I haven't the foggiest idea and am too burnt out from cabinet knob decisions to choose a backsplash. I decided (another decision) to live with the soapstone and no backsplash and wait for inspiration. Thereare many on this forum that use beadboard with soapstone. |
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
| Bemily - Sorry to sound so uninformed - but what does beadboard look like? I need a small backsplash that will be interrupted by a round window and am trying to figure out what will look right next to the soapstone. Thanks |
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
- Posted by: yellowhead (My Page) on Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 10:42
| Here's pictures of my beadboard backsplash (unpainted)with soapstone. |
Here is a link that might be useful: beadboard backsplash
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
| My designer advised against a soapstone backsplash. She thought it would look too dark and heavy (and I have a very large kitchen with big windows). So I went with matte off-white tiles (close to the color of the veins in the countertop soapstone). It's a clean, classic look, and I am happy with it. |
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
| the Beadboard looks lovely! Is there some type of polyeurythane or coating over the paint? |
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
| You can buy the beadboard these days in a pvc type material. I am not sure what the technically consider it. I had that in my last kitchen. |
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
- Posted by: peachieone (My Page) on Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 11:50
| We still don't know what to do with our backsplash. Some of our soapstone countertops are in and the granite is on the Island. We did buy some multicoloured soapstone blocks that we are thiking about cutting into tiles - maybe a subway type of thing or maybe more squarish. 'Might just go for normal subway ceramic. Really feeling a little burnt out here too but I am definitely open to suggestions if anyone has any. You can view our in-progress kitchen below. |
Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen in progress
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
- Posted by: yellowhead (My Page) on Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 12:11
| RSMB, so far the beadboard is just primed. Once I get new cabinet doors the backsplash and cabinets will be painted with oil-based paint, some type of off-white shade. |
RE: What kind of backsplash for soapstone?
- Posted by: retro_rabbit (My Page) on Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 21:22
| Beadboard on one side of the kitchen (looks just like yellowhead's, and ours still isn't painted either!), and subway tile on the other. Our cabinets are cream and so are both backsplashes, although we do have a blue and green mosaic stripe running down the subway tiled wall. I agree soapstone could look too heavy as a backsplash with cherry cabs, if you were going all the way to the upper cabs... but it really depends on how much backsplash you have. Our neighbors have cherry cabs with soapstone, and their backsplash is soapstone or something similarly dark, but they also have black appliances and a lot of light coming into the kitchen. It looks great. |


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home