Oct 7, 04: Soapstone feedback

Soapstone feedback

Posted by idesigngr (idesign@ec.rr.com) on Thu, Oct 7, 04 at 21:31

I've just finished my first 2 soapstone installations as a dealer/fabricator (customer demand) and was wondering if any experienced end-users would care to comment on the ups and downs of their soapstone (en)counters, esp over the long term. Personally I love every aspect and am considering putting it in my own 30's bungalow kitchen. I would also like to build confidence in the material. I've been following a few threads but would really like a SS specific feedback and not a this vs that vs the other. Be as specific as you can. Thanks everyone!



RE: Soapstone feedback

  • Posted by: cpjohnson (My Page) on Thu, Oct 7, 04 at 23:06
I have two bathroom vanities made of Alberene (VA quarry) soapstone. They've been in since April. So far, so good. Up side, it isn't granite. I have granite in other areas of my home and am kind of sick of the shinyness of it. I wanted a black counter to go with some unique sinks that I had purchased, and looked at granite, both polished and and honed, and just didn't like it. Soapstone worked in the space, and is still somewhat unique around here. I also like the feel of the stone.
Down side, it does scratch. My husband had a belt that dug into the soapstone and it made noticable scratches. We were able to sand it out and reoil, but it doesn't yet match the rest of the slab perfectly. Hopefully it will over time. It really isn't that big a deal, as other people don't notice it, but I know where the "spots" are.

RE: Soapstone feedback

  • Posted by: skivino (My Page) on Fri, Oct 8, 04 at 13:16
We had our soapstone installed about 2 months ago and we love it more everyday. The major con, at least with the type we got, Original (whatever that means) from Bucks County Soapstone, is it does scratch. Now we can't scratch it with our fingernail, it's not that soft. And our kids have "played the drums" with their flatware to no harm, but some pottery plates or candle holders have scratched if drug across the stone. I remedied this by putting those little felt pads on the bottom. However, these surface scatches ususally come out or rather blend in when you oil it. The deeper scratchs due to chef's knife falling or someother heavy item falling can be sanded out easily then reoiled. Also with the amount of veining and quartz deposits I have these scratchs/dings sometimes look as if they belong there, only I know they don't. I must add that around our undermount sink we have several dings in the SS from pots banging up against it. You cannot be a fussy or "perfect look" person and have this type of SS. This is not a critisim of that personality trait it's simply a fact. Don't try to sell Soapstone to someone who wants "perfection" you'll make them crazy. The first couple weeks I was sanding or oiling out every mark made. Now I've come to "understand" soapstone! It's a beautiful, natural stone and with it's use it comes alive. I've come to accept that it will have some dings that I just don't feel like sanding out. It's a gorgeous stone whose feel IMO cannot be matched by anything out there. The silky feeling you get when you rub your hand across it is mesmerizing. Everyone who's seen our kitchen so far loves the soapstone, and most have never seen it before. Ok so they may be just saying it to be nice, but their first reactions are so "AMAZING" that I think it would be hard to fake. Hope that helps.

RE: Soapstone feedback

  • Posted by: elektra (My Page) on Fri, Oct 8, 04 at 13:42
We have Indian Cobra soapstone which is now 2 years old. It does have a few small dings/chips (2-4mm) and scratches from knifes etc. Over the first year we oiled it regularly with decreasing frequency to the extent that the last oiling was 4 months or more ago. It is not the stone for someone who wants a pristine modern look as without oiling it is blotchy. When oiled it is glorious black with a blue hue and indistinct veining but his probably needs to be done evey month or two.We love the warmth and feel in our1920s house. Also I have noticed that the places that get heavy use are almost in need of no oiling now and places covered up like under an appliance are the lightest. We are very happy with our decision and our only other choice could have been honed granite

RE: Soapstone feedback

  • Posted by: corgilvr (My Page) on Fri, Oct 8, 04 at 14:07
I have had cherry and soapstone in my kitchen for over a year. The soapstone is in hot/wet areas and is the backsplash behind my sink to the windowsill. I usually oil once a week after I wash my counters and move everything. I use mineral oil on the cherry, soapstone and my wooden cutting boards. Scratching is minimal and sililar to the wear of the cherry counters. The wear and oiling enhance texture of the stone. I especially like the non-reactive quality of soapstone. While the oil may wear differently, it can all look even again in less than five minutes and be food safe. I also like the ability to repair and refresh surfaces with ordinary household materials. All of my kitchen areas are used and the counters have performed to all expectations. We are now planning a soapstone shower floor and vanity due to the non-reactive and slip resistant qualities of the material.

I have a copper sink in my pantry and think that the combination of copper, cherry and soapstone would have been great in the kitchen, too! In the past I have commented that soapstone is for "tactile" people. I love the way my counters feel. The other qualities enhance the function of the counters.

Bucks County also did our soapstone on site in one day. We were completely satisfied with their service from beginning to delivery.


RE: Soapstone feedback

I have been looking and checking with various places and finally came up with a local source. I've yet to visit, just got the name yesterday, but as they are a M-F, 9-5, operation I may get to see them Monday. LOL the receptionist says she thinks they're open.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hilgartner - poor website, but info's there

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home