Oct 2, 04: using a soapstone sink
using a soapstone sink
Posted by TanyaMStew (My Page) on Sat, Oct 2, 04 at 21:28
| I want to ask those of you who have a soapstone (or limestone) countertop and sink, do you have any problems washing pots and pans and dishes in your sink? Also after cleaning a large amount of pans etc-- there is always a grease residue, what do you use to clean it? I ask this because I now have a s.s sink and I am looking to redo my kitchen and I want soapstone (or limestone) counter and sink. Now I have no problem, I clean the pots and pans then throw alittle cleanser in the sink and bingo clean--am I going to go an extra mile to keep this looking good?? Thanks |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: sharon_sd (My Page) on Sun, Oct 3, 04 at 6:58
| If there is any residue, I don't see it ; ) Soapstone doesn't show every little bit of whatever like stainless does. You never have to polish it. I just swish it with a little water and occasionally rub it with a plastic scrubby. |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: pickles_ca (My Page) on Sun, Oct 3, 04 at 8:17
| Soapstone owners! Maybe I can add my question about soapstone into this thread - they are both along the same line: I am wondering if the oil you use to rub into the counters - penetrates into items ON the counters - like a newspaper or magaine or kid's homework. Is this a problem, maybe just at the beginning? Or is it something you need to deal with all the time? thanks |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: farmhouseindy (My Page) on Sun, Oct 3, 04 at 9:00
| don't have a soapstone sink, but pickles, I can tell you that oil on the counters is not a problem. I was told to oil, let it seep in for a bit and then rub it with a non-oiled micro sheet. It isn't like there is a layer of oil standing on the countertop. I have had mine in now for 3 weeks or so and I am barely oiling. I like them not oiled as well. So fwiw, we had no issues iwth newspapers getting stuck to the counters or better yet any hw that didn't get turned in due to grease overcoat :-) Go for it! |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: pickles_ca (My Page) on Sun, Oct 3, 04 at 9:13
| Thanks, farmhouse That was my last concern about sopastone. I do have a small sample here - but I wondered if you would read the newspaper at the breakfast bar - if it would leave an imprint. I still have to find a better supplier as the one I have scratches too easily, but I'm up in Canada and I don't think it as as easy to find. Cheers, |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: sharon_sd (My Page) on Sun, Oct 3, 04 at 14:00
| Pickles, I used Tung oil to oil my soapstone counters and sink. It dries, hardens and doesn't leave a residue. Who have you found for soapstone so far? |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: pickles_ca (My Page) on Mon, Oct 4, 04 at 21:32
| Sharon, I got a sample from soapstonecounters.com - they are in Woodlawn On. But I could scratch my sample - very easily, with my fingernail - so I know that won't hold up to farm living with 3 kids (and DH)- Right now I have tiles on my countertop- they are 18 yrs old - and still in good shape - although the grout is a bit of pain - they are vitrually indestructible - so I am looking for something just a tough. Do you have another lead for me? Cheers, |
RE: using a soapstone sink
| I got my counters and sink from Soapstone Counters near Ottawa. They are quarried in the Ottawa valley. They are not really well organised and I had to keep on their backs about the order. But we are pleased with the soapstone they sent us. It has lovely green and white veining. I oiled mine with the same tung oil (from Lee Valley) that I used on all my hardwood counters. It hardens as well as protects. We did our own installation. It was a relatively simple thing, because our counters are four separate, relatively small, sections. |
Here is a link that might be useful: SoapstoneCounters
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: pickles_ca (My Page) on Tue, Oct 5, 04 at 9:10
| Hey Sharon that is the same place I got my sample from. didn't you find it soft and scratchable? Maybe I just got a bad batch - now that I know there are several different types of soapstone. Did you pick up your counters - or did they deliver? I am in SW On - so it is pretty far from Ottawa. My countertop - at least with the plan I have now - will also be in several smaller sections - except for the peninula or island - how did you attach the soapstone to your base cabs? Did it seem like you might crack it? - I think I'd be scared of that. My sample arrived broken and it seemed pretty well packaged - so that got me thinking too. thanks for your help |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: sharon_sd (My Page) on Tue, Oct 5, 04 at 16:27
| They delivered my counters. It cost $200 for crating and delivery to Rockwood, near Guelph. They did a great job of crating. The material is a bit soft, but with three or four layers of tung oil I haven't seen much scratching. They have been in since April. I cook with cast iron pans and don't baby the counters. The one problem with them is that I did a fairly sharp edge and have chipped it in a couple of places. I am going to give it more of a bevel when I get around to it, which should be soon now that the hay is all in. |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: pickles_ca (My Page) on Tue, Oct 5, 04 at 17:44
| Oh - good tip about the edges being sharp and chipping easily - I'll add that to me 'kitchen ideas' list. So you just measured your area and ordered it - had it delivered and installed it? I am giving serious thought to the new yellow IKEA cabs. Pickles |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: sharon_sd (My Page) on Wed, Oct 6, 04 at 7:24
| Ours was a relatively simple installation. There are five pieces of counter. One is 8 inches wide and runs across the back of the sink. Three of them are about 2 feet square and the other is 6 inches wide. The one at the back of the sink is siliconed in place onto the sink. The rest are just sitting, waiting for the backsplashes and electrical to be finished, in case there are changes needed. They don't move! Maybe we won't ever glue them down, although I suspect that as recommended, siliconing, especially by the sink would be a good idea. Our measurements were fairly straightforward, although we did it before the walls were finished, to speed the process. When we were ready to install, we found that one corner of the room was slightly off square. But because soapstone is soft, it was not a huge problem. We took a taper, 1/4 inch down to nothing, off one edge, using a sandpaper block. Two people can easily lift a 2 foot square piece of soapstone. Two people can, with difficulty, lift a 30 by 18 by 9 inch sink. My husband and our plumber installed the sink. The taps were a bit of a problem, because of the thickness of the soapstone. We had to sand out a two inch circle on the underside, about a half inch deep, around the tap holes. Otherwise there was not enough thread on the taps to set them firmly. |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: tanders (My Page) on Wed, Oct 6, 04 at 9:32
| SharonSD, Do you have photos of your SS counters somewhere? Could you post some please, or direct me to where I can find them somewhere? THanks. |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: pickles_ca (My Page) on Wed, Oct 6, 04 at 16:48
| Yes Sharon - do you have photos posted - I'd like to see them too! Pickles |
RE: using a soapstone sink
- Posted by: sharon_sd (My Page) on Thu, Oct 7, 04 at 6:37
| I will try to figure a way to post some pictures in the next couple of days. |

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home