May 31, 04: mineral oil where to buy it?

mineral oil where to buy it?

Posted by flygirl (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 8:54

I have recently got a small butcher block installed in my pantry area and have been looking all over for mineral oil to treat it with. so far i have only come up with Weiman's Lemon oil.The ingredients do list it contains white mineral oil but I am a bit concerned about the lemon oil content, it feels very greasy. anyone know of this product/is it safe to use on butcherblock? (block wont be used for food prep). I am in NJ, anyone any suggestions where to find mineral or pure tung oil?? Thanks!



RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: momj47 (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 8:58
If there's an Ikea nearby, they sell cutting board oil, otherwise, you might try a kitchen store or an outlet mall, they usually have it.

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: BearCentral (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 8:58
I bought mineral oil for my butcherblock at Walmart in the pharmacy department. I think you'll be able to find it at any drugstore. HTH

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: flygirl (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 9:02
thanks all, will check it out next time I go grocery shopping, appreciate your speedy response!

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: Eileen3G (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 9:27
Right -- any drug or grocery store -- usually on a lower shelf near the laxatives! Good luck.

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

Didn't know about asking at the drugstore, I should have tried that!

I looked at the grocery store, Target, Lowe's, HD to no avail. The Lowe's guy called it a "higher end" product. (Huh??) I found mine at Williams-Sonoma for $5 a bottle -- probably expensive but what did I know. I bought two because I was afraid I'd never be able to find one again!


RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: Kayjay (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 9:44
Supposedly, if you inhale mineral oil it can cause a kind of pneumonia, or at least I think I read that somewhere. Anyway, mineral oil is a petroleum product.

I use olive oil on all my cutting boards, not mineral oil. The same grade I use for cooking, just rub it on and wipe off the excess, it does not leave a sticky surface and does not turn rancid.


RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

I have seen mineral oil at Bed, Bath, & Beyond near the cut boards. Haven't priced it against prices in the pharmacy sections. Just don't over oil like I did! I was so worried about drying out my wood, so now it oozes when we put anything heavy on it like soapstone samples.

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: VeloDoug (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 12:37
99� for a 16 oz. bottle in the health care section of our local grocery store (Acme).

Doug


RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: kecs (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 12:40
I buy mine at Ace Hardware, where they place it next to the cash register.

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: Lily316 (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 1:23
$1.49 at Walmart in the pharmacy.

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

Boy do I feel like a sucker! :)

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: corgilvr (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 17:11
Don't be so hard on yourself! The cheapest versions are in the laxative section of most stores. You can rub it in with your hands and do your skin and wood a favor simultaneously.

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

  • Posted by: skivino (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 17:53
I just bought a big bottle for about $3 at CVS (pharmacy).

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

FWIW, I noticed today that the $1.49 (approx.) mineral oil in the pharmacy section at Wal-Mart included "vitamin E as a stabilizer" (in addition to it's descriptive labeling as an "intestinal cleaner" or something similarly unappealing). For your $5 at BB&B, you get a bottle of mineral oil labeled only as "food grade", without mention of any additives or bodily functions. Aside from mere marketing tactics, perhaps therein lies some consolation for buying the higher priced version.

RE: mineral oil where to buy it?

LOL BargainHunter! My bottles have nice pictures of trees on them. Some consolation indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home