May 30, 04: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
Posted by lrchtr (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 8:24A friend of mine told me her installer said granite and soapstone absorb germs and you can't get them "clean" as the germs sink into the stone and grow and fester. This is teh first I've heard of this. When I did an internet search I see that a lot of Corian sites are saying this too, so I wonder is it propaganda or is there truth to this? If I buy a graniteslab or soapstone and I only buying a salmonella/e coli petri dish?
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: weed30 (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 8:31
Total BS.
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: momj47 (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 9:03
| Bunk........... |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: pompeii (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 9:58
| My goodness, what people will sink to to sell their product... |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: cpovey (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 10:14
| Even if they do, they are below the surface and will casue no problem. And anyway, normal cleaning with soap and water will do 99% of them in. If you are really worried, a little Lysol or rubbing alcohol every now and then will take care of them. Colin PS. Do NOT use bleach, as some caulking can be permanently stained by bleach. |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: terriks (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 10:34
| I haven't heard of a huge increase in bacterial illnesses due to more people installing granite and soapstone counters. Sounds like the Corian people are getting desparate because granite is taking marketshare away from them. |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: Buglady_DE (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 11:46
| Two of my favorite topics, germs and soapstone, together in the same post. Cool! Of course I have to reply to this one! I go by "Buglady" because I am a microbiologist. Doesn't mean I'm an expert on every germ-related topic. And I'm certainly no expert on bacteria growing in stone, but I have done a cursory literature search on this topic, and I can tell you there is nothing out there that I've seen that would give me any hesitation on buying any of the major I do know all about how to grow E. coli and Salmonella and identify these microorganisms in the laboratory. I did this type of work for many years. Stone is no Petri dish for foodborne pathogens. Now they certainly can survive on the surface, if you are foolish enough to put raw chicken, for example, on your countertop and not But the idea that they are multiplying all out of control inside your countertop is a bunch of nonsense. I'd be less likely to want to keep a wet dish towel or a wet sponge in my house, than to steer clear of a stone product for this reason alone. |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: kecs (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 12:52
| What Weed said. Total BS. |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: Monicakm (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 13:05
| Puh-LEASE! This is concocted by ES and SS manufacturers to sell more Corian and Silestone... nothing wrong with these products if that's what you want but there is just NO evidence to back up these lies and plenty of evidence to debunk them. If you want Corian, by all means, get it. But if you WANT real stone...by all means GET IT :) Monica |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: lainey17 (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 14:09
| Also- I have heard that in germ neurotic countries (Japan) they are having problems fighting normal types of diseases because their bodies are not being immune challenged and staying "fit" I have heard that they have machines to sterilize their credit cards etc. I think that the wet sponges are a much bigger germ hazzard. |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: lionors (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 14:51
| What was that website a while back that said something like "What you don't know about granite may be killing your family"? I remember we all had a good laugh about it. Did anyone keep the link? Lionors |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: kecs (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 17:06
| These folks are related to DF's (Darling Father's) present wife, who's always got some bizarre new vector-of-infection rumor roiling--germs everywhere! Doesn't even know how soap works with handwashing to best dispense with bacteria and dirt. Figures she's gotta kill the little buggers with bactericides. Wooden cutting boards? No way. And plastic spoons for cooking, never wood! Wood harbors, yes, GERMS! Called "little-t personalities," these folks tend to have a collection of small phobias which they deploy in efforts to control others' behavavior (e.g., buying the correct countertop material) or on a deeper level to project unmanageable fears onto manageable things like dirt. Naturally, they often marry big-T types (high-risk, drawn to danger types), hoping, I suppose, to save them from all the DANGER out Some little-t type is probably out there at this moment manufacturing, sharing, and pondering scary new household dangers for the other little-t's of the world. |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
| Here it is What you may not know about a granite countertop can actually kill you! Don't you love it. Just think about all those unsanitary granite tombstones! |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: lrchtr (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 19:09
| thanks guys for debunking this myth. I feel a bit foolish for having to even ask, but the woman who told me is usually very well informed andreliable. At least I provided a little comic relief...... |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: momj47 (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 19:19
| We weren't beating up on you, sorry if it seemed that way. Welcome to the neighborhood. One thing you'll find here, we have lots of opinions, and are more than happy to share them, so pull up a chair and sit right down. The other thing you'll learn is that you should trust your instincts. Good luck with your kitchen. |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: Julies_Kitchen (My Page) on Sun, May 30, 04 at 23:02
| Someone above mentioned not using bleach because it can discolor caulk. Is it OK to use bleach water as far as the granite is concerned? I know no vinegar or ammonia, and soap and water are usually fine for me, but I was just wondering if I really wanted to disinfect, if bleach water was safe to use. Was going to ask it, and this topic seems a good place... |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: lrchtr (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 7:17
| Mom47, thanks for the welcome. Not to worry, I wasn't feeling beat up, just a bit sheepish. But thanks for thinking of me! |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: Gorilla_X (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 8:23
| I read the "Comparing Countertops" link on the posted website. Is it not amazing that Corian beats out every other material? Oh yeah, he sells Corian so I guess it is not that amazing after all. One thing I noticed: he omitted ES from is comparison... wonder why! ES is non-porous. |
RE: Germs and soapstone? Germs and granite?
- Posted by: lionors (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 13:24
| Thanks for posting that link, momj47! I think they've toned down the rhetoric a little, but it still makes me laugh. Lionors |

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home