May 15, 04: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
Posted by tanders (My Page) on Sat, May 15, 04 at 9:37
| I think my husband and I have finally decided on soapstone counters. We've discussed backsplashes on this forum recently, but what about sinks? I really like the way self-rimming white porcelain cast iron sinks look against the dark of the counters, but my DH thinks it's too much of a contrast. We have SS appliances and hardwood floors and will have natural cherry or QS oak cabinets, so the sink would be the only thing white in the kitchen unless I have a white backsplash. I worry about getting an undermount (cast iron or SS) because of the possibility of chipping the sink edge. (We have quite a few heavy LeCreuset pots that I hand wash). Not sure that I like the soapstone for sink. Seems too dark and the corners look like they'd be a pain to keep clean, but may consider it if someone convinced me my fears are misguided =). Those of you that are getting or have soapstone, what type of sink are you going with/do you have and why? Thanks for your input... |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
| Oh, if I could have your kitchen I'd put in a white fireclay farm sink in a heartbeat. Fireclay is very strong, easy to clean, and very much the style used with quartersawn oak cabinets and soapstone counters. White sinks are so traditional, I don't think the contrast would be a problem at all. Here's something similar. And here's another one. Good luck and enjoy |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: kecs (My Page) on Sat, May 15, 04 at 14:24
| Yeah, what momj47 said. Soapstone and farm sinks are traditional partners (I myself am installing both). Another natural pairing with soapstone counters is a soapstone sink. |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
| We got black moenstone sinks, and did the drop-in installation. They don't stand out from the soapstone, but they aren't exactly the same either. They are easy to keep clean (so far, anyway). They are very resistant to scratching & heat. Christina |
Here is a link that might be useful: sinks (2nd & 3rd pics show sinks pretty well)
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: Rughooker (My Page) on Sat, May 15, 04 at 16:39
| We have soapstone counters with a undermount soapstone farm sink. Once in awhile I take a old toothbrush to the corners and bottom seams. I never have to scour it because food dosen't stick to it or stain it. We just rinse it out with the pulldown sprayer on the faucet. I know I've seen cherry cabinets with soapstone on one of the soapstone web sites. Maybe Vermont Soapstone or Greenmountain. My cabinets happen to be white. |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: Buglady_DE (My Page) on Sat, May 15, 04 at 20:04
| Well, as of today, I am sticking with my biscuit-colored cast iron sink to go with the soapstone counters. Who knows, I could change my mind tomorrow, lol. I, too, had the concern that there would be too much contrast between the soapstone and the sink, but as soon as I put the soapstone sample next to my sink, I realized I was worrying about nothing. The soft color of the soapstone, even oiled, is a natural with this sink. My sink is self-rimming, too. I love the way the edge of the sink looks next to the soapstone. I know I will be very happy if I keep this sink. But those fireclay farmhouse sinks with the apron-front sure are tempting! If it wasn't for the extra depth you get with an undermount sink (I worry it may be too deep) and the fact that I know this sink is durable, cleans up so easily, and is big enough for my needs, I am sure I would get one. The soapstone sinks are beautiful, too! Now in my case the sink will not be the only offwhite-colored thing in the kitchen. Not sure how that would affect my decision if I were you. For me, I am a little concerned that I plan on a SS range hood. That will be the only SS in my kitchen. But I think it will be OK. Will probably do SS backsplash behind the range. So what do you think about the white backsplash? For now, I am planning an off-white beadboard. Would that work for you? I mean, in your case, it would be white. Or maybe you could work white in there somewhere. I usually like to work at least some white and some black into my decor in each room. Good luck with your decision! Your current choices sound beautiful. |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: Lily316 (My Page) on Sun, May 16, 04 at 1:18
| I have a soapstone sink w/ my ss counter and have no problem taking care of the corners. It helps to have a pull out spray on my faucet like I do . |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
| Soapstone sink and counters here. I am with Lily -- pull-out spray covers the corners, no trouble. We have calphalon -- pretty heave -- and thus have a few nicks on the egde. Not noticable, though, when oiled. Also, fine if you like a "lived-in" look. We made a last minute decision to change our planned fireclay sink to soapstone -- decided there was enough going on at that spot and wanted more continuity. I think this is a key factor. To what degree do you want your sink to stand out? I think any of the options discussed here would be lovely. Good luck! |
Here is a link that might be useful: Eileen's kitchen
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: momj47 (My Page) on Sun, May 16, 04 at 8:33
| Eileen, what a great looking kitchen, reminds me of my grandmothers home - both of them. |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
| I'm going to be the odd one out here. I have a 65 inch double bowl, double drain boards 1940's Youngstown Kitchen self rimming sink we plan to reuse in the new kitchen (when we remodel). It's white, bowls are a little on the shallow side, shows its age, and will be a little challenging to get installed, but it's just fabulous and I can't live without it. Always ;-) |
Here is a link that might be useful: just like my sink
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: mollyshumom (My Page) on Mon, May 17, 04 at 13:28
| I have soapstone counters, natural cherry cabinets and ss appliances. The sink is a deep undermount ss model and it looks great with a corner mounted ss faucet with a pullout spray. |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: Crey (My Page) on Mon, May 17, 04 at 14:43
| Soapstone counters and my old stainless steel large double bowl sink - it sets on top of the counter and if I was to replace it, I'd get the same thing again! I love it - and it looks great with the new countertop - Crey |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: caseyb (My Page) on Mon, May 17, 04 at 14:47
| we too went with a large (single-bowl) SS undermount with our soapstone. It will have a little "reveal" on it. (so the soapstone is back a bit from the edge of the sink.) |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: palomalou (My Page) on Tue, May 18, 04 at 10:42
| Since all appliances will be black except for range, which will be stainless, I was thinking to reuse our perfectly good stainless overmount sink with soapstone countertops. Crey, do you have pictures? |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: Crey (My Page) on Tue, May 18, 04 at 12:52
| Sorry - no pictures - I live in the dark ages with no digital camera - I can tell you this though - My sink is about 30 years old (put in when the house was built and has developed a lovely patina from being heavily used. I chose the soapstone because my house was built to look antique and the combination of the sink and the oiled stone is lovely and keeps the old look of the house! Now, I just need to finish - grout the countertop, put in the floor, paint . . . its neverending!!! |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: palomalou (My Page) on Tue, May 18, 04 at 16:29
| We don't have a digital camera either; I'm going out today to see whether what DH says is true, that CVS can upload them somewhere and you put them on the net where you want. Best of luck with your remaining work! |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: iasid (My Page) on Tue, May 18, 04 at 17:45
| Crey-- I've been off the forum for a few days. How has it gone w/ installing the soapstone tiles and edging? The cabinet/counter people here are concerned that the edging from Vermont Soapstone isn't wide enough to cover the form (or whatever you call it) that the tile would be set on. Thanks, Becky |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: Crey (My Page) on Mon, May 24, 04 at 14:56
| Hi Becky - I got my tile and edging in on the countertop portion of the kitchen(just the island to go) and I have learned a lot! I set my tile on 3/4 inch plywood per the Vt soapstone instructions and the lip on the edge was plenty wide enough to cover it. I used liquid nails to set the tile on, spreading it with a 1/16" toothed trowel. My initial thought was to butt the tiles and epoxy them together for the seamless look but when I tried a sample, it seemed too difficult for me so I have "compromised" with a small grout line and spectra lock epoxy grout in black - I put the word compromised in quotes because that's how I was feeling at the time. Now that its done, I am so happy with the results! The one thing I could have done better was to make sure that the tiles were set at the same height but hey, I'm a beginner! Nothing lost except lots of sandpaper and labor. I used a rasp on the edges to even them out and spent two days sanding the higher tiles down to the same level as the lower ones for an even counter. It is now BEAUTIFUL!!!!! The epoxy grout looks fabulous and was much easier for me to handle then trying to create a completely flat tile with the edges epoxyed together. I have to say it was worth the work. - Crey |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: pappachris (My Page) on Thu, May 27, 04 at 15:13
| We installed soapstone tops this week. We went with a cast iron undermount in biscuit. We had the same contrast concerns with white, and almond is too almondy for my tastes. The biscuit looks great! In fact, I installed the same sink that I put in 25 years ago, except that one was self-rimming. Satin nickel Rohl faucet. The whole package is awesome! We considered the soapstone sink, but a friend of mine has one and disliked the whole corner thing. |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: tanders (My Page) on Thu, May 27, 04 at 21:56
| Pappachris: Do you have any photos you could share? I'd really be interested in seeing your sink. Thanks. |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: pappachris (My Page) on Fri, May 28, 04 at 6:50
| I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I can take some this evening. What is the best way for me to share them? |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: pappachris (My Page) on Fri, May 28, 04 at 13:36
| Tanders, You've got mail (and pics). |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: iasid (My Page) on Sat, May 29, 04 at 13:50
| Crey--that sounds like alot of work! I don't think we have the talent--so we're back to soapstone slab counters. Thanks, Becky |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: Crey (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 8:14
| Becky - I admit it - It was a huge amount of work and so worth it to me. I could never have afforded the slab and I just love the soapstone - It's on to the painting now and then the floors! Working full time and doing your own work is slow but rewarding!! - Crey |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: gardiner (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 10:05
| Tanders - did you decide on a sink? We're trying to choose also. The soapstone sink seems like a beautiful option but expensive and unfamiliar. I like the simple stainless undermount, but my husband doesn't. A farmsink maybe, but my kids are CLUMSY and I'm worried about broken dishes. |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
| I ended up choosing both a farmhouse fireclay sink as well as a stainless one for my island prep sink. Love them both. I think a self rimming or a large farmhouse sink goes well with soapstone due to the tendency of the soapstone to chip when schlepping large pots or pans during cleanup. Pictures below.... |
Here is a link that might be useful: Warren's kitchen
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: Valtog (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 16:57
| Warren's kitchen....is incredible! It's what I want in the 1920 bungalow we just bought...gorgeous! |
RE: What type of sink with soapstone countertops?
- Posted by: mborozny (My Page) on Mon, May 31, 04 at 17:53
| We were thinking of going with soapstone originally, but it's prohibitively expensive here (WA State--island), so we "opted" for uba tuba granite. After posting yesterday about our sink selection woes, I really got excited (from everyone's helpful advice)about a single-bowl, white cast iron sink against the dark granite. My husband won't go for biscuit--too wishy-washy. I clipped a picture from an old issue of BHG's Kitchen and Baths yesterday with a soapstone counter, cabinets similar to what you describe, and a white cast iron sink. It looks gorgeous! If you can afford the fireclay, I say go for it. Good luck! Can't wait to see the pictures. |

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home