Mar 7, 05: soapstone question

soapstone question

Posted by sallyjavalon (My Page) on Mon, Mar 7, 05 at 7:14

The soapstone sample I have has a slightly textured surface ie not completely smooth. Is this normal with all soapstones? Can you roll pastry or biscuit dough on it?



RE: soapstone question

Sallyjavalon -

The soapstone sample that I have, and the counters that I have are all completely smooth. That is part of the beauty of soapstone, IMO, is it's smooth and almost "soft" feel. I would not hesitate to roll out dough on my counter.

We did have some reports of "rough" soapstone here on the forum, though, I believe someone saw it in a house tour out east, IIRC. If you want smooth, I would be sure to ask for it!

Good luck!


RE: soapstone question

Sallyjavalon- my sample of Mariana is rough- it is polished only to 80 grit. I plan to have the fabricator experiment a little with the finishes.

The 80 stays black for a long, long time without re-oiling, and scratches (this is hard stone- hard to scratch) rub out with your finger. However, the 220 is where I hope to end up- my Alberene sample is 220 and as close to perfect as they come.

BTW- while we were 'experimenting' with the other samples, he honed the Rainforest green sample from Teixeira to a 1600 grit- it felt like angels' robes and looked just as heavenly.

What kind of soapstone is your 'rough' sample?


RE: soapstone question

thankd pecampie - I did not know you could specify a finish. Makes sense. I don't know the name of the soapstone - The dealer says it comes from a quarry in Quebec.

RE: soapstone question

About your soapstone, I believe it was Kecs that researched the SS from Quebec. She will know the name of it...Kecs, are you listening?

RE: soapstone question

Since reading your posts I took an emery board to my sample. The emery board is shot, but the sample is smooth! so I guess any installer can do the same. Many thanks for your input.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home