Mar 23, 05: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Posted by tanders (My Page) on Wed, Mar 23, 05 at 10:38

I just got my samples in the mail yesterday. I got two samples of Santa Rita ("old" Santa Rita and "new" Santa Rita). I thought there was only one type. I know many of you like the Santa Rita, but was wondering if it was the "old" Santa Rita or the "new"?

I also didn't get samples of Wavy Ipanema, Brazilian Nights or Rainforest Green that they have listed on their website. I was disappointed--I wanted to see this Rainforest Green some of you have spoken about.

So what did you all think of your samples? Me & DH both like the "new" Santa Rita best. Does anyone have pictures of this one installed? I also liked the Emerald Green, but DH thought it was too splotchy. I'm having a hard time getting the Piracema sample to "hold" the oil. Soon after I oil it, it seems to fade out and appear light, glittery and chalky looking.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on the M Teixiera samples that have gotten them, and would also love it if anyone could post pictures of M Teixiera SS installed.

I'm having a difficult time locating soapstone in the Chicago area that isn't outrageously expensive and M Tex is my last hope, so I really hope I can make this work out, getting a nice stone from them. Thanks much ~



RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

We only got one Santa Rita, but I don't know if it's "old" or "new" -- can you describe the difference? Ours is quite dark (once oiled) with no prominent veining in our small sample.

I have the same experience with the Piracema. It actually seems to absorb the oil, rather than hold it on the surface. Once the oil is absorbed, any scratches or nicks on the surface become very prominent. Maybe with enough oil it would eventually saturate, but I haven't gotten there yet, and I've been oiling it daily for 2 weeks.

I have thoroughly abused all the samples with scratches and dings from dropping soup cans on them from 3 feet. The Santa Rita and Emerald Green seem noticeably harder than the Piracema, Ipanema Reserve, and the Rainforest Green. The Santa Rita seems hide the damage best.


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

My samples just arrived yesterday too! I was told they were out of the following when I ordered them:

Wavy Ipanema
Brazilian Nights
Cobra

I really wanted the Cobra based on all the previous posts I had read about its hardness. I also think the physical description is closest to what I wanted.

I received 4 samples yesterday:

Santa Rita
Ipanema Reserve
Piracema
Emerald Green

I also did not get the Rainforest Green and they didn't mention not having it. I had asked if they would have anything new since they were now minus 3 types. They told me not at this time. So I wonder what this "new" Santa Rita is. I certainly would of liked a sample if its an option and might possibly be replacing the original Santa Rita.

Have you played around with them to see which you found the hardest to be? I would love to know your thoughts based on any destruction you put them through. Lol.

I was really hoping to work with M Teixiera because they are about an hour or so from here. I have also gotten samples from Vermont Soapstone & Green Mountain Soapstone. I am finding the sample from Vermont Soapstone to be the hardest of all. I also like its uniform coloring. I go back and forth on the veining.

I am going to call M Teixiera and see what the story is.


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Please let us know what they say about rainforest. I got a sample of it w/ my samples...a few weeks ago. It is stunning and for those who prefer a "busy" pattern. But I would hate to get my heart set on it and it not be available!

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Ok...I called. They say that they only have a some large slabs of the Rainforest left. I am not sure why they wouldn't send a sample not knowing what someone needs. I didn't question it because I am not leaning towards a green.

There is a "new" Santa Rita that supposedly has less veining then the old. I am having them send me a sample of that. It sounds more like what I am after.

I am glad to see I am not the only one dropping soup cans and can openers on my samples. I was able to make some decent dings into the sample by doing so. They were definately deeper than I would of liked to have seen. Once again the Vermont Soapstone (which I believe is the Mariana) seems the hardest.


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Sheesh - maybe I am nuts - I was attacking my samples with a screwdriver!! :) I just got a second set of samples from M teixiera yesterday because of a SNAFU - I wonder which santa rita I have. I will have to check it out tonight

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

I've had my MTex samples for a while now. I really love the Rainforest green but feel it might be 'too much' for the look I'm trying to achieve. It is a beautiful stone though. We've decided on the Emerald Green for the perimeter counters and the Ipanema Reserve for the island. I emailed M.Tex to ask if they had any photos of the Ipamea and Emerald installed and this is what they sent me...

Ipanema:
[click for photo; opens in new window]
[click for photo; opens in new window]

Emerald Green:
[click for photo; opens in new window]

I'm sure they would send you photos of the installed soapstones you're interested.


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

thanks for posting the pics Lisbeth. the emerald green shown has more large veins than i had imagined.

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Have you called Hummingbird Soapstone in Glen Ellyn? They distribute Green Mountain Soapstone here in the Chicago area. We are having our template done on Thurs for "original" thru them. Nice people 69 sf installed.

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Allison, you know, another forum member did tell me about that place. I will try them also, but my first impression of Green Mountain wasn't a good one. The sample I got had a lot of brown splotchiness in it that I didn't care for and had the same experience with oiling it as I had with the Piracema. I couldn't get my sample to stay dark for more than a couple hours after oiling it periodically for over a year. I didn't get my sample from Hummingbird, though. I'll try them and get another sample of the G.M. BTW, what made you decide on the original vs. the Ice Flower they offer? Were you able to get samples of both? Please let me know how your install goes.

MrBlandings ~ I had the exact same experience! The scratches turned whiter as the oil faded away and now they really stand out.

As for the Santa Rita, we like the "New" stuff better. Looking at my samples, it appears to have *more* veining in it than the "old" version. There is a very thin, beautiful vein running through my New S.R. sample and a lighter, less noticeable vein in the Old S.R. The New stone seemed to scratch less than the Old. I tried to apply the same pressure and use the same angle when scraping the surface with a serrated butter knife and they both scratched, but the scratches on the new SR were finer and thinner than the scratches on the old SR. Don't get me wrong, though, they are both exceptionally hard stones. Maybe I will e-mail M Tex to see if they have any pics of New Santa Rita installed. It's so difficult to get a feel for the real character of this stone from a little sample. I'll let you know what I find out.


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

OK, I took some pictures of some of my samples this morning as the sun was streaming in my southern facing kitchen. You can really see the detail in the New Santa Rita sample that I have.

I am on dial-up and it takes *forever* to upload pics to post. If someone wants to volunteer to post my pictures, I will e-mail them to you.


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

tanders`I'll give it a shot...majikemr@aol.com

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Lispeth,
Please check your e-mail....

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Got the photos and am starting a new thread with them...

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

We decided on the Green Mountain original since the really dark green almost black color went best with our Labradorite granite and rosewood/cherry rest of kitchen. The ice flower was too grey for us and some of the others out there ie: T&M's were really splotchy imo. Our sample from Hummingbird holds its color quite long (days) BUT they told me "oil once a week for first 3 months or so then once a month for next 3 months and then the color stays the dark greenish/black." I've had it awhile but don't oil it regularly like they said and it looks great. They have sample countertops in their small shop to see. There is no iron in any sample (I have 2) and it is hard to scratch this one and not have oil remove it immediately. Template was done today and we have 7-10 more days to wait. A nervous wreck since you don't pick the slabs but saw what had been coming in and it looks just right.

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Allison,

I'm glad to hear that your experience with Green Mountain was better than mine. I'll definitely call today to see if I can get samples. By the way, what's "T&M's" that you referred to in your post? I also sent you e-mail...


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

We were at m. teixeria today and ordered our slabs of santa rita soapstone. We went with the santa rita and they had a few types to choose from. The one we ordered is dark and has minimal veining. The other samples of santa rita have more veining.
We had recieved 5 samples total. The santa rita is darkest and strongest with minimal veining; rainforest, impanema reserve, emerald green and piramecia were the other samples we recieved. When we scratched the others up,they didn't hold up as well as the santa rita. Also, they didn't get dark enough for me.
They no longer are taking orders for cobra or brazilian nights.
They do have brazilian nights tile still available.
They are wonderful to work with! Carmen is great to work with.
Also, on TLC tomorrow night, 8:00, M. Teixeria will be on with owner Rodger, Jorge and Robert. Jorge and Robert are doing our install in 2 weeks!!!!

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

I just had my rainforest green soapstone from M. Teixeira installed and it's gorgeous. I'm sure though that there is harder stone out there so if that's your concern then I would keep looking. BUT......it's beautiful! Once oiled, it's dark green, a little lighter green with yellow and light green veins running through it. I'm sure it will take some time to get it to stay that deep rich color I want, but it's worth it. Nothing else like it.

Randigirl


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

My husband is fabricating and installing our Santa Rita this weekend. I will post pics when he's done.

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

sixpak - that is awesome! You must be so excited. I can't wait to see the pics.

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

How do you all feel about soapstone counters in a French Country kitchen? We're in So Cal, 65 yr old house with a somewhat French exterior and Mansard roofline. The kitchen has West/South exposures -- lots of sun -- and we are doing simple cabinets with a creamy color and rubbed look (I hope). Never thought of a dark counter before, but I am falling in love with ss... What would you pair it with for a backsplash and flooring?

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Nanacyo
I, too, live on a SoCal 1940's home. My new kitchen was relocated and is now facing west with lots of sun. My counters which are almost built are painted off white. My counters are being fabricated as we write and they are Santa Rita . Can't wait!! My feeling the darker the better. My floors are smooth trowled waxed concrete (unstained. My island is Carrera marble.My kitchen was designed without backsplashes however there is thread in the gallery with just backsplaches( I think it is on Pg 2) . Many who contribute on this forum have done a beautiful job with colored subways and tumbled stone. I like the look of pairing SS w/a non-glossy tile. That is my bias as I have never been one for the reflections of light on tile. As for flooring that was the one decision I made early and never wavered. With a cream colored cabinet there are ENDLESS possibilities for the floor.I fell hard for ss and took a 3 week delay to accomodate. Good luck you will see beautiful examples of the combo you're interested in.

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Tanders...when I called them to ask about the "new" Santa Rita they told me it has LESS veining then the orginial. So it might just be your sample that is showing more.

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Just an update regarding the "old" and "new" Santa Rita...

I just got an e-mail from Roger at M Teixeira and he told me that "...the major difference between the two is the fact that the new has green in it and the old does not."

Looking at my samples, I find this to be true. I can definitely notice green in the sample, especially next to the veining.


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Woo Hoo -- I'm a stoner now!

I went out this morning and bought our first soapstone slab - 63" x 113" in Santa Rita with some beautiful green quartz veins and dark gray speckles. They'll deliver in two days and my DH will do the fabrication and install. I can't wati!


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

Yay, Sweeby! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! I know I don't need to tell you...pictures, pictures, we want pictures when you get your beauty installed!

RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

I've had my rainforest green soapstone now for about 3 weeks. The first week I was out of town so I've actually lived with it for about 2 and I LOVE IT!!!!! If anyone out there is even considering it if you love that no fuss no shine solid countertop that's gorgeous. This is for you. By the way, tung oil stinks a little, but it does seem to hold it's luster longer. But then what do I know, I've only had it for 2 weeks.

Randigirl


RE: M Teixiera Soapstone Samples

If you really like the darker look of the SS when it is oiled, try the beeswax and mineral oil mixture that has been talked about. I have used it and it holds the darkness longer without that greasy feel. It is more of a pain to put on as the wax is well, waxy, but you just need to buff it more. Ours is going on two months now with just the really constant use areas needing some reapplication.

I will try and find the container to see what the stuff is called.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home