Jun 14, 04: Soapstone durability

Soapstone durability

Posted by elena122 (My Page) on Mon, Jun 14, 04 at 19:42

To any of you out there who have soapstone countertops: what do you like/dislike about them? For example, do they chip if you drop something on them? Do they stain (is lemon juice, olive oil, wine a problem, and if so, what can you do about it?) Home expo salesperson told me they would dent if I dropped anything on them -- like a pan or lid. But I love soapstone and hope he was telling a fib.

Thanks for any information!


RE: Soapstone durability

We don't have it yet but we're planning on putting it on the perimeter cabs. It can scratch, but I'm not sure about "denting", it's not that soft. You can sand out any scratches out w/fine grit sandpaper rather easily. I dropped my granite sample onto my soapstone sample (NOT on purpose) and the SS got a little gouge. I sanded out w/o problem and it looks like new! From my research it does NOT stain at all, as that is one of it's many benefits. I can't believe dropping a lid on it would really harm it. But as I'm only a wanna be soapstone owner I too would like to hear any of the "cons" those that have lived with it have found, if there are any.

RE: Soapstone durability

I have had soapstone on my island for about 5 months and I love it. I oil it whenever I want to. I have not really dropped anything on it yet so I can't tell you how much it would chip or dent. I have scratched it several times and all you do is reoil it and it's good as new. I highly recommend it(and I have two young children who use it everyday!)

RE: Soapstone durability

I went to Expo to see their Sensa soapstone. They had several samples and I took my thumbnail to one and made a really big deep scratch! Then, a little sanding and an application of oil and it was as good as new.

I love soapstone and want my new kitchen to have soapstone countertops! I just think you have to realize what you are in for - it isn't going to always be perfect looking, so don't even think about it if you are meticulous. I'm not.


RE: Soapstone durability

I used to wash heavy motorcycle parts in the soapstone laundry sink in a house where I rented a room. There was no evidence of denting or any other damage. It cleaned up nicely with a little bit of kerosene followed by a thick slurry of Tide laundry detergent and a natural bristle vegetable brush. (This was done with the landlady's permission BTW.)

Doug


RE: Soapstone durability

I've had my soapstone about a year. We used it on the sink cupboard with an oversized undermounted stainless sink. It is also the countertop on my much used island with cooktop. I also have a piece on the floor in front of the hearth opening.
Soapstone does not react to acids and does not etch or discolor if they are left on the surface. Oil will darken the stone, but a soapy wash and dry will leave your counter a soft gray color. We have not chipped or dented our counters to date with daily use.
I use the least expensive food-safe mineral oil I can find to maintain my counters and wooden cutting boards after I wash with soap and water. I also like the look of the counters when they are not freshly oiled. There is no special sealer or cleaning product you need to use.
My parents had an old soapstone laundry sink also! It was topped with a very discolored piece of white marble. The soapstone was in incredible condition for the kind of basement use it took. The marble looked horrible with the same abuse.
Save the cut-outs they make for sinks or cooktops!
Debbie


RE: Soapstone durability

I have soapstone counters (since February) and it does get dings and marks and scratches. I accidentally dropped a small metal tin holding 2 bags of tea from about 2 feet and it left a small gouge. The plumber left a small ding in the counter by the faucet. My kichen gets a daily workout.

Soapstone is, by its nature, a soft stone. I am sure there are some harder varieities of soapstones than mine, but even they will scratch and presumably chip. It doesn't stain at all (it's extremely dense). I love it, and especially enjoy the "aging" process. It will certainly acquire more dings, marks, chips, and whatnot over the years, which is exactly why I wanted it.


RE: Soapstone durability

We've had soapstone in our kitchen for about a year. We have a few scratches and small dings but, they virtually disappear with a little mineral oil. We don't mind the scratches and dings simply because we believe that adds to the charm and uniqueness of a soapstone kitchen. No stone I've touched feels quite like soapstone.

As for staining, I'll leave you with the fact that soapstone has been used in chemistry labs for over 100 years. There aren't very many kitchens that I'm aware of that can create the acidic condition for a countertop than a typical chemistry lab.

Good luck,

Scott


RE: Soapstone durability

Ditto Scott.

One thing to consider is that some soapstones are harder than others. I saw those discussions on this forum -- AFTER we had installed ours! I think our "original" variety is fairly soft (though not fingernail-scratching soft!).

Good luck.


RE: Soapstone durability

elena122: Get a sample and put it on your countertop for a few weeks/months and torture it. We did and that was what totally sold us on soapstone. We did not even seriously consider it until we were handed a sample at a trade show & brought it home. Then we fell in love! Samples are available from all distributors, order on-line. Some require a shipping fee. Or maybe your Expo center gives samples. The specific type of soapstone you need will depend on your own taste in hardness and colors and veining/no veining. That's why it is so worth it to get many samples.

RE: Soapstone durability

I was watching Ultimate Kitchens in Food Network today and they featured a kitchen that had soapstone counters. The host did say that they will chip but the owner said he didn't mind this.

Truthfully, that was the first and only time I have seen soapstone and it did not look like anything special to me. Of course, it was just black -- maybe it comes in different colors or patterns?


RE: Soapstone durability

I have had my kitchen for 16 months now and there is one little ding on the counter. I didn't even sand it out because I like the used look. I only oil every 6 weeks or so, and would get SS again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home