Jun 1, 04: why oil soapstone?
why oil soapstone?
Posted by palomalou (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 9:08
| The fabricator told me that one oils soapstone if one wants it to look darker. Okay, I don't; is there a FUNCTIONAL reason to oil it? Should it initially be oiled, then allowed to gray out? |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: pebbles396 (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 9:12
| No - there really isn't a functional reason that I know of. Most people oil it only for aesthetics. And b/c soapstone is non-porous you'll have to oil, and reoil, and reoil for the look. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: kkay_MD (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 9:29
| The only "functional" reason I can think of is that when soapstone gets any oil or grease on it from the cooking or preparation process, you will have a darker spot. My soapstone was a fairly light blue-gray before it was oiled. When freshly oiled, it's a deep greenish black with light green veins running through it. As the oil disappears, it lightens up overall, but it has never returned to that pre-oiled blue-gray color. Oiling it also makes the scratches disappear. I only oil mine occasionally. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: Crey (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 9:31
| If you don't oil the soapstone, anything you spill (including water) will make a temporary dark spot - the oiling helps to maintain an even look to the counter - I also like the grey look of the stone - most people don't like the marks that are made by general usage and are used to a perfect, even surface. I even sanded the corners of mine down to make it look older. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: janedibber (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 10:11
| well, if you consider applying oil a 'function' of your labor..ha, ha. otherwise, as everyone noted, its all about looks. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: pebbles396 (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 10:20
| kkay is correct. it doens't really ever go back to the original unoiled color. sorry forgot that part. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: palomalou (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 15:41
| Hmm....thank you all. Perhaps I am going back to drawing board and search for granite again. I have really decided that I don't want the black look--washes out the backsplash slate. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: corgilvr (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 16:44
| Why put moisturizer on your face or lotion on your hands? It feels good and it looks good. It takes about a minute to do after you wash your counters. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: Valtog (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 16:52
| I am considering soapstone counters for my kitchen. Any advice? Do you folks like your soapstone? Why did you choose it? Thanks! Val |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: palomalou (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 22:18
| Corgilvr, my issue is not laziness (not that I'm not lazy, but not relevant to this discussion). The sample I have is just too dark after the fabricator oiled it, and although I have scrubbed it with soap a number of times, it hasn't lightened to the color I have in mind. I just thought maybe if one NEVER oiled it in the first place, it would be light enough. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: HeyPearly (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 22:53
| Only time will return the light gray color. Patience. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: Buglady_DE (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 23:02
| I thought that soapstone could be sanded and you would get the original color back? Is that not true? Also, I thought that you have a choice of oiling or not oiling based on your Maybe all soapstone is not alike? Personally, I am planning to oil mine. I like the look of it oiled. I have a Valtog--I first investigated soapstone because I don't |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: FrenchTeacher (My Page) on Tue, Jun 1, 04 at 23:30
| I'm strongly considering soapstone for my perimeter countertops. The island is likely to be a granite with an interesting pattern. I can't say I love it, but it works with the cabinetry, hood, etc. I've also been through other various options. I'm still wondering whether honed marble could give the look and not show stains or etching. My KD warned me that it is even more porous than honed granite. I'm looking for the matte finish also. Has anyone considered honed marble and discarded the idea for the soapstone? I haven't gotten any farther than mentioning it at a stone yard when the idea is thwarted by those in the know. Thanks for your input. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: Crey (My Page) on Wed, Jun 2, 04 at 8:58
| Soapstone does go back to the original color when sanded - I couldn't wait to see what it looked like before I had completely sanded it down so I oiled a bit and then finished the sanding. The oiled bit went right back to the grey color. I oiled the whole thing this morning but I'm thinking that I like the light color better so I'm not sure I'll keep it oiled. - Crey |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: palomalou (My Page) on Wed, Jun 2, 04 at 14:31
| Oh Crey--you are right!! I grabbed the nearest sandpaper from my basement and barely sanded it and the color is great. AND I prefer the silky feel of it better than the slick feeling of granite. Not that there aren't a lot of gorgeous granites out there, and still the idea of a granite on the penninsula is not totally out. That is where I knead and make pasta etc., at least when I'm not too busy on this website! ;) |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: Buglady_DE (My Page) on Wed, Jun 2, 04 at 21:03
| I just finished sanding my sample. I agree that the light color is just hiding under the oiled surface. And I do love the silky texture! The best part for me is that I could see how easy it is to soften the sharp OTOH, since it is so easy to sand the soapstone, I really hope this is going |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: janedibber (My Page) on Wed, Jun 2, 04 at 21:07
| you'll be doing a lot of poofin' before that happens! |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: AnnaLeeF (My Page) on Thu, Jun 3, 04 at 0:30
| For those of you who dislike the sharp corners, you can get the softer look of eased edges from the fabricator. We spoke with the Vermont Soapstone people at an Architectural Digest Home Design Show a few months ago and they showed us the alternative edge, which we loved immediately in preference to the sharp, squared off edges. We've been living with one of their samples for over a year and love its earthy good looks. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: corgilvr (My Page) on Thu, Jun 3, 04 at 6:03
| palomalou, oiling is about looks and feel, not energy levels. Has anyone never oiled their soapstone? I do think the color looks pretty even after a soapy wash, though not the original light gray. I have soapstone in high use areas and chose it for ease of use and cleanup. There must be a solvent that will remove any oil residue from nonporous stone, but you might not want to use it in food areas. |
RE: why oil soapstone?
- Posted by: Crey (My Page) on Thu, Jun 3, 04 at 8:49
| I put in the tiles and edging from Vt Soapstone and the edges were beveled - I sanded them more to give them that "old and not perfect" look - I just love the look I get and - with oil, without oil - isn't it cool that you can change the way they look at a whim? Wheeee - I'm so glad I chose this stone!! - Crey |

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home