Feb 6, 04: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab?
Many thanks to Buglady_DE for saving and forwarding this thread!
Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab?
Posted by rachel06 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 15:34
I've seen posts on this subject before but am having trouble finding them now. I apologize if this has already been discussed ad nauseum.
I'm looking for a very dark grey to black natural stone countertop to go with my white cabinets.
I love, love, the varied color and texture and the matte finish of soapstone and slate. However, my general contractor is balking at the thought. He has no experience with either and is strongly suggesting granite.
I went to my local EXPO and saw a kitchen with polished absolute black and didn't like it at all. I long for a more natural look.
However, I am NOT the neatest nor the most "careful" of cooks. I don't want to destroy my countertops within a year of installation.
SO, can anyone with any knowledge and/or experience with this decision please share? Are your countertops wearing well? And what about slate vs. soapstone? Why choose one over the other?
I greatly appreciate any help.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: gellchom (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 17:12
Slate and soapstone are very soft compared to granite. If you WANT a "weathered" look, you'll like it. They are also very expensive.
All your choices are gorgeous. They are also all very difficult to keep looking great all the time: they show EVERY speck of dust, fingerprint, and drop of water (leaving a circle when it dries), especially the honed finishes. If either (a) that doesn't bother you (and there's nothing wrong with it if it doesn't! Plenty of people don't care), or (b) it would bother you, but you don't mind keeping after it with a Miracle Cloth or Windex several times a day, then you will love any of these. But if not, pick something with a little less drama that doesn't make you choose between more mess than you might like and being a slave to your countertops.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: SFMelanie (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 17:19
rachel06, I have been facing this same decision. I saw newly installed soapstone at a kitchen showroom 6 months ago and absolutely fell in love with its natural look and feel. It was a dark grey with interesting veins running throughout. Nothing else I've seen since compares. My KD also thinks I would be making a big mistake going with soapstone since she has heard many horror stories. KD is pushing for honed granite.
Well, I went back to that same showroom recently (now 6 months later) and, yes that soapstone island is now well worn with lots of little scratches. They were definately not careful with it. But, I still think it looks absolutely beautiful.
Try to find examples in your area so you can see for yourself whether you would like that worn look ar not. Slate for some reason just doesn't seem as warm to me as soapstone. I haven't made a final decision yet, but I'm still hooked on soapstone
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: brittneym (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 17:25
I am in the same spot right now. We were going to do richlite until our builder broke it us that he couldnt get it for hte price he had quoted us originally. So we are trying to decide between all the stone and quartz products fast! I have a chunk of absolute honed in front of me, and I am not loving it as much as I thought I would. I guess after staring at the richlite, I am not digging the sparkles. I really preferred the slate samples I saw, but I use alot of olive oil and I don't want tons of oil stains. So I think that leaves with soapstone or some granite or I can get a quartz product honed. I think I am cool with scratchy patina, but its hard to say never having seen lived in soapstone.
I am really liking celadon granite (its a dark grey with green and black and isn't speckled like most granite but rather looks like a worn etched colored cement.) Unfortunately they didnt have any samples so I can't test it. But I think it would LOOK great honed, I'm just not sure about its performance. Plus I think many oops moments might blend in better.
I am especially concerted with acid etching or stains-- the stone guy told a horror story about an installer whom left a mcdonalds coke on a new AB granite counter that soaked through its cup and bleached it out. Random cola or OJ or tomato splashes left overnight are a real possibility at my house.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: SFMelanie (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 18:03
Another plus for soapstone is that it won't burn (it's the counter of choice in chemistry labs) or stain. Acids and alkalis will not etch soapstone as they will other stones like marble and granite. Having said that, I'm sure someone somewhere has stained there soapstone counter. However, I don't think it is as much of a concern as it is with granite, as noted by brittneym's coke story.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: sheila73 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 18:39
I'm trying to make this same decision, so thanks for posting this, Rachel.
I'm guessing they're both pricy? I can't seem to find any prices online. If that's true, I'm wondering if it would look ok to have soapstone on just the island, and dark gray/black corian (or whatever) elsewhere. ???
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: brittneym (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 19:06
My stone place wont give me prices! Drives me nuts, so I am just sweettalking to them over the phone to give me ballparks on everything one by one :) I live on the westcoast so soapstone is def. not as common. This place has brazillian soapstone, and its priced he said in the neighborhood of the honed AB granite, and not as expensive as some of the granites I was looking at like Costa Esmerelda and Green River. I am not liking how sparkly the AB granite is even honed, I think I want a softer look for this kitchen. I am really obsessing over this today...... argh!
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Momto4Kids (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 19:25
I wish someone who had all these wonderful threads going about all of these (oh, it was about 6 months ago) would jump in and say they saved them and post them!
Posters here who have each of these are passionate about the choices they made. For me, I'm going with soapstone and marble. I found a quarry in VA that supposedly has some of the hardest soapstone available. I got samples from 2 other popular sources and they were definitely softer and easier to scratch. So, before you write it off due to "softness," get some samples and try it out. I'm glad I stuck with it. I almost gave up. Below is a link to my pix of my samples, FWIW! I'll have mine treated on the surface so it's all the even dark (looks black) color. I have friends who only treat (oil--and I don't mean there is any oily residue. If there is, it's too much. I've put paper on top my samples and oil does NOT soak into the paper. Just FYI!) theirs every 4 or 5 months. In between, it shows lots of "patina(!)" but once oiled again, it looks fabulous. Too much patina for me, though.
I also have a friend who has honed AB. She loves it. Yes, it is very stained, but she likes it. When she treats hers (not sure what she uses), you can still see the stains.
Slate--there are some people in the gallery who have it, love it and swear by it. Try to find them. I'm sure they wouldn't mind an email.
Sheila-I'm sure it would be lovely to have just soapstone on the island and the perimeter be something else. But I'd do something that complemented the soapstone color instead of try to match it.
Oh, as for pricing, my soapstone is a little over $60/sq ft. They have an option to get it at about $45/sq ft if you get something called "top honed." You'd have to finish it DIY and I certainly can't and don't trust anyone around here to do it! All in all, much cheaper than my granite choices were going to be!
Good luck with this agonizing process. Hope my little "bit" of research helps some! Deb
Here is a link that might be useful: I'm using Alberene
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: lauriefree (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 21:04
Rachel, I'm facing a similar dilemma, except I'm planning on getting tile. I just think the shiny granite is a bit too, well, shiny for my new kitchen but the tile person we deal with said that a honed surface was too porous to make a very good surface in a kitchen. She said soapstone was too soft, but I don't think she knew what she was talking about. Another option we have is to go with 12" x 12" porcelain tiles in a matte black, slate-like finish. But the ones I've seen are very textured and I'm not sure how that would work as a countertop. I'M SO CONFUSED! There is so much conflicting info, even on this forum. -sigh-
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: elsieCat (My Page) on Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 22:06
Oh my countertop soul sisters! :)
I really don't want tiles, even with close lines. I've got tiles now and NEVER AGAIN. Another option, that I've just discovered, is a quartz product called Avanza that has a mostly black, fine-grained (no big facets) pattern called Raven. It's got some mottling that looks good, not fake (at least in the 4x4 so far) and is not too polished--moreso than richlite--but not as shiny as shiny granite (what else is LOL). Brittney, through the Avanza website I found a place in the Portland area that fabricates it if you're interested--prices are *great*. The rep is getting me a 12x12 sample, so if you want you can see it too--she'll have it next week. They're out in Milwaukie. Please e-mail me offlist if you want more info...
This is the hardest part of the whole kitchen so far. I know the cabinets now but the darn countertop! Grr! The phenolic resin or epoxy resin lab countertop idea seems to be much easier to get on the east coast than the west, for some reason...richlite/paperstone is like that but more than I want to pay...
Here is a link that might be useful: Avanza color page--scroll down for Raven
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: corgilvr (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 6:26
I have soapstone in three different areas: sink, island, hearth floor. After six months, there are NO scratches on my surface. The only time I noticed a problem was when my belt buckle was rubbing the very corner edge near my cooktop. Am I the only person reading the posts about sealing and resealing granite and special granite cleaners? I wash the soapstone with soap and water and apply a thin layer of oil over it. I use lots of olive oil while cooking as well. If some drips on the counter, just rub it in. You will never be able to tell where the mineral oil ends and the olive oil begins. Cleaning and oiling soapstone takes minutes. The non toxic oil feels so nice on your hands and the counters look beautiful. They are not greasy and do not release an oily residue onto other items. I would not have granite with rough seams or rough and gritty feeling areas in counter surfaces. It feels horrible to me and looks like a flaw. If that conditon is inherent to the nature of the material, I don't want it. If you scratch your soapstone you can sand the scratch out with oil and ordinary sandpaper. I have wooden coutertops on my other kitchen counters as well as in the pantry. They are also oiled and I have had no problem with them. Both materials seem to get more beautiful with time.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Momto4Kids (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 8:10
corgi--thanks for your post! I love to hear my choice reaffirmed! Deb
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: caride (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 8:43
I too have been struggling with this decision. I've been lurking on this site for several months - thanks to everyone for the valuable info! I have decided to go with Cobra soapstone from Teixeira. I have abused my sample and find it scratch resistant. After scratching it on purpose with a sharp knife, it was not noticable after rubbing it with mineral oil. It is $80/square ft. prefabricated. This soapstone does not have a much spotting and veining.
I don't know anything about slate. I've seen honed AB in a showroom and thought it was beautiful. For my 1920 house, granite seems out of place and so I'm willing to put up with a less-than-perfect countertop to acheive the look I'm going for.
A question for soapstone owners: Are the seams visible? I went to Restoration Hardware recently, and they have beautiful soapstone countertops, but their seams were very visible. They do not oil their soapstone - a look that is beautiful too.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: rachel06 (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 9:43
Thank you everyone for your replies. This has been very helpful!
Caride: so the countertops in Restoration Hardware are soapstone? I was thinking of asking if anyone knew what they are. They are beautiful!
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Rughooker (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 17:50
Caride: We have soapstone counters in cobra on the perimeter cabinets which are painted white. They were installed on december 19th. I'm going to put honed carrera on my island. The seams are barley noticable and are perfectly smooth. After they are glued the seams were sanded with a small belt sander. My cobra has some green splotches and veining. I also have a farmhouse sink made out of cobra. We have not experienced any scratching and we have two children ages 7 and 11. Even though the counters are new I'm not a slave to oiling, usually around the sink every few weeks. Makes your hands nice and soft. Good luck with your counters.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: caride (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 18:48
Rughooker: It sounds as though our kitchens are similar (my future kitchen!)- farmhouse sink, white cabinets, marble on island. I am sure your kitchen is beautiful! Thank you for the reply!
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: cooking_SB (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 20:26
Rughooker and Caride...and that makes three (white cabs, sopastone & Carrera) A trend perhaps!
Did you keep wjite cabs everywhere? I'm planning on a dark island with the marble top.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: pugs4 (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 20:40
rachel06 I have had my slate just about a year,and as everybody knows I love it.I to did not want a shiney surface and did want soapstone but all samples i tested were way too soft,and I did not like it unoiled.Slate is actually one of the least porous stones there is.Vermont slate needs no sealing,it acutally will repel the sealer.It does not absorb oil at all or red wine or blue popsicle!! i've tried them all after almost year I have no stains and any scratches you may get are only on the surface and do not go as deep as soapstone,all you do is take a wet scrubber sponge and they buff out.Although my new kitchen island will have butcher block as you can not cut on any of those stone finishes.good luck peg
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: LamarCO (My Page) on Sat, Feb 7, 04 at 23:46
Rachel06 - There is a Special Issue of This Old House Kitchen and Bath (Winter 2004) that I recently picked up which features a kitchen on the front - white cabinets and per the info article on page 47 the counters are "italian sandstone countertops - similar to soapstone, but more durable". I am not familiar with this material but it looks a lot like soapstone. I also think this particular kitchen was recently featured on several episodes of this old house in which the family won a remodel of their kitchen. I haven't checked but you may be able to find info on this italian sandstone on thisoldhouse.com. Good Luck. By the way, I love this look.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Samedis (My Page) on Sun, Feb 8, 04 at 10:49
Is there a particular brand of soapstone I should be looking for? I am on the west coast. Thank you all for your help!
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Rughooker (My Page) on Sun, Feb 8, 04 at 13:35
cooking SB: my base perimeter cabs are white along with the upper cabs. Benjamin Moore white dove. My island and the backs of the upper cabinets that are either open or have glass doors are a medium wood tone stained and glazed beadboard. This is being done by a local cabinet maker. The island and upper cabinets are not installed yet, soon we hope.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Sharon_G_in_MA (My Page) on Sun, Feb 8, 04 at 14:01
brittneym, on that coke story: It sounds like that particular slab of AB had been "doctored." Apparently it's not that uncommon among dishonest granite dealers. Basically someone uses a colorant to give the stone that AB look; then later it starts to wear off and the buyer is stuck with a messed-up countertop.
If you were talking with a stone guy who was discussing his own installer, RUN from that guy because I would bet you he is installing inferior product. Yikes! True polished AB does not need to be sealed and will not etch or stain. When honed it will show fingerprints -- and I'm not sure whether it needs to be sealed -- but a cup of coke will not bleach it out if it's true AB! Mauritzio at the ntc-stone site would have more info on this issue.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: caride (My Page) on Sun, Feb 8, 04 at 17:38
cooking SB and Rughooker: my cabinets are all white, but wall cab doors are seeded glass. Top of island will be Brazilian cherry with lowered baking center with carrera.
I saw several more soapstone countertops this weekend, unfortunately all in showrooms. Beautiful, of course. I haven't had the opportunity to see Vermont slate, but it sounds like a great choice too. It occurred to me that I'm trading maintainance-free laminate and SS sink for countertops and sink that require maintainance and babying and cost a small fortune - how weird is that! Oh, the things we do for beauty!
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: farmgirlinKY (My Page) on Mon, Feb 9, 04 at 16:15
In my beloved old kitchen I installed green (brazilian) slate countertops over cream-colored cabinetry, a nice look with a cream-colored AGA. The slate countertops were honed, I never undertook any special maintenance with them except to scour them with a non-scratching pad. Water rings tended to linger, but I never was disturbed by this, and don't remember fingerprints as a problem. After five years, I had managed to chip the pencil edge once with a heavy cast-iron pot -- I swung that pot pretty hard into the edge to accomplish that -- and there were a couple of hairline cracks in the countertop -- ?possibly created by setting down hot pots directly on the counter -- but the hairline cracks didn't bother me either. I found the counters hardwearing and beautiful on the day we left our kitchen behind (the house sold in five days, I think because of that kitchen). SO green Brazilian slate was very satisfactory. That said, I still am tempted by soapstone, and may install that in our new kitchen when we get around to renovating it. I appreciate your starting this thread for those of us who like a matte, natural look and aren't too fussy about signs of wear.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Hunzi (My Page) on Mon, Feb 9, 04 at 16:58
OMG! FarmgirlNY
I'd die to see any photos of your kitchen! We are also planning pale yellow or cream cabinets with a cream or black AGA with soapstone stone counters.
Always ;-)
Hunzi
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: DebinCa (My Page) on Mon, Feb 9, 04 at 17:42
For those who wanted sources in northern CA. I got my Green mountain soapstone from Alpha Granite and Marble. They have about 4 locations in the Bay area and Sacramento area. The price I paid was about $100 per sq ft installed. That was for 30MM material with pencil eased edge no backsplash. I am extremely happy with my soapstone, yes it scratches, but those rub out with oil. I have 2 boys, 2 dogs and a husband (all pigs), no problem. Actually I think that I will like the stone even more when it gets a little more beat up. The longer I have it the more I like it. I oil about once per month, at first it was more, but it is slowing down. I have had it for about 5 months. For those who were concerned about seams, mine shows. My fabricator had no experience at all with soapstone, and matched the epoxy with the light unoiled color instead of the darker color it is now. So the seam is light grey, but even that dosen't bother me. A friend who works in the business said if I hate it they can recolor the epoxy with a special colorant. So do make sure to tell your grantite fabricator to match the epoxy to the darker color. You can see pictures of my soapstone and kitchen in the gallery on the bottom of page 2, DebinCa period white kitchen with soapstone.
Good luck with your decision. Don't let the uniformed talk you out of the material. No one I met in the stone industry that I came across knows as much as these ladies on this website. So take what they say with a grain of salt.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: brittneym (My Page) on Tue, Feb 10, 04 at 15:11
momto4kids-- about your friend with the honed AB granite. What kind of stains does she have?
I am still stuck on this and no resolution is in sight :(
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: brittneym (My Page) on Tue, Feb 10, 04 at 21:50
ah ha! I think I have a decision...
I finally got the lady in the know at the big local stone store. Turns out that the mystery Pietra De Cardosa they have is Italian sandstone such as the one mentioned by LamarCO. It was much harder then the brazillian soapstone they had. I couldn't scratch it with my fingernail. Since I was ready to go with the other, I was very happy to find that out! It was a dark grey in its natural state and the veining was a lighter grey instead of a white.
I am pretty sure this is what we are going to use, as I had a big chunk of a greenish brazillian and it really helped our kitchen look less modern and sleek (an effect that even the honed absolute black granite had).
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: elsieCat (My Page) on Tue, Feb 10, 04 at 23:53
Hey, brittney--which stone store???? Please tell me NOW!! I saw that Italian sandstone on the cover of the TOH mag too!
PLEASE! You can send it in e-mail if you want (see my page, or it's OWLsGarden@comcast.net)
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Danni_in_PDX (My Page) on Wed, Feb 11, 04 at 0:30
LamarCO: That Italian Sandstone won't scratch but it will stain, badly if the people at the biggest stone vender in Portland are to be believed. I thought it was going to be my salvation as I am facing EXACT problem finding a "perfect" black countertop. (D--M that "Something's Gotta Give Movie" kitchen!!) They said it is like limestone, super-porous and not at all intended for the kitchen, for what it's worth. BUT- in that issue, I think they mention something call Fireslate, which looks like soapstone, but is harder. I went to see it installed in a kitchen in a mutual friend's house and it is gorgeous. They wanted the un-oiled looked, but it showed too many stains, so now it is oiled, really fabulous. ALSO, it is good to know that not all soapstone is soft. They stuff in the display at the big store here in town was SO soft I put huge, noticable gouges in it with a bendy fingernail. (I was trying to prove to hubby that is isn't too soft...dumb, dumb, dumb) So that wasn't too helpful in making any choices, but I thought I'd head off the hoards wanting Italian Sandstone on their counters =)
WHY DO MAGAZINES DO THAT??????? Torture- I tell you!
I am back to putting in black (slightly distressed) cabs with Carrara tops because of the unsuitableness of the blacks. You hate to spend the money unless you think you have the perfect material...
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: brittneym (My Page) on Wed, Feb 11, 04 at 0:49
Here's the link to the quicktime VR picture of the kitchen with the italian sandstone/marble/soapstone countertops called Pietra Del Cardosa. Its the Lake Forest Dream Kitchen if you want to find it by browsing around.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/html/vr/lakeforest/after/dka_2.html
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Momto4Kids (My Page) on Wed, Feb 11, 04 at 4:41
brittneym-re: the stains on the honed AB...no, I don't know what foods did it. I know she slaps raw food, oil, etc, including accidental spills on it everyday. She just doesn't care if it stains or care about what stained it because she doesn't have any intention of trying to get it out. Someone above said honed AB doesn't stain. So, maybe this is just surface staining??? Don't know. Deb
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: brittneym (My Page) on Wed, Feb 11, 04 at 12:31
Danni why do they do this to us? It was Intrepid in Portland that got me all excited about it, and I assume they are the biggest? If not, let me know where else I should go look!
I tell you I am so SICK of getting a different story from every stone store salesperson I talk to. They all say something a little different, and its driving me nuts. I just want the stores to have nice samples that have been exposed to red wine, tomato sauce, spilled vinegar etc so I can get a straight real life look!
Alas I hadn't really heard good things previously about fireslate, and the sample that Environmental Building Supply had at their last home show was pretty beat up and unattractive. Maybe it just needed a good oil? Have you gotten the fireslate / slatescape priced out?
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: devyani1964 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 11, 04 at 12:55
Brittneym,
Pietra Cardosa is truly a gorgeous stone. I was told that it is a Schist (the kind of stone that lives under Manhattan). I believe Schist is formed during a metamporphic process that also produces slate.
In any case, our sealed sample of Pietra Cardosa did not stain with acids but did so with oil. When I mentioned this to my supplier, they said that we should never leave oil standing on the stone but we could also use a poultice get the oil stain out. Since we are not the most careful cooks, we decided against the stone.
Currently we have vermont slate which is gorgeous, does not stain and gives us the dark grey look that we wanted. I believe that Pietra Cardosa and Vermont slate should be in the same price range. If you at a slightly higher price range, you may want to check out Burlington Stone which comes in some gorgeous greens and greys and is hard, does not scratch, etch or stain with anything. You can look at pics of it at the following link. Also check out their Alternative stones page.
Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Source: Burlington Stone
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: elsieCat (My Page) on Wed, Feb 11, 04 at 13:46
devyani, the trouble with Vermont slate out here in the PNW is the shipping price :(. Whenever I've asked at stone places here I've gotten "slate is slate, one isn't harder than the other"...*sigh* Vermont slate does seem like a great solution, if we were back east or close to a distributor in CA.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Danni_in_PDX (My Page) on Wed, Feb 11, 04 at 22:51
brittneym: don't take their word for it. I go to OTM and make them give me free samples, then I take them home and leave them by my sink. I drag whatever I am cooking across it to tell me whether or not it will work for me. BTW-the Absolute Black (honed) I have been trying to stain, hasn't a bit. (It's hard to keep streak-free.) Water spots have been the biggest black culprit. My friend with the Fireslate was ready to tear it (and her hair) out BEFORE she oiled it. It was very hard to keep non-stained. I think it is still stained but with the oil it is near impossible to tell. So, it's too high maintance for me, but it is out there, and was notably cheaper than soapstone.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: brittneym (My Page) on Thu, Feb 12, 04 at 20:53
Well yesterday I finally talked Intrepid into chipping off a sample of the Pietra del Cardoso. After playing with it, its not very absorbant. I put coke on it, and it hadn't absorbed at all in 40 minutes. Tomato paste left on for several hours also didn't leave a mark. Oil definitly soaks right in. But the lady at Intrepid suggested oiling the counters instead of sealing them. I think this could solve the problems as they all the oils just blends together. I couldnt see my oil stains once I oiled the whole thing, even after my husband later ran it under the sink and cleaned it. It would also give it a darker finish. So... going that option it might not be as dangerous as thought... but I am not sure if the oil would patina the stone as a whole over time, or fade or respond in a soapstone sort of way....
We are actually leaning now towards getting a super soft brazilian soapstone and just dealing it the scratches since our huge test slab is just sooo pretty and marble like that we really enjoy it. The soapstone has such depth when its oiled, and my dh really likes its all over random white veining.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: bluebird_CA (My Page) on Tue, Feb 17, 04 at 1:36
Add us to the list of struggling people trying to find the perfect matte black counter. We are trying to balance the maintenace issues with slate, soapstone, and honed ab granite... We did find a Satin finish honed absolute granite. It is not as honed as the other honed samples we have, and not nearly as shiny as the polished. The satin finish has enough polish to resist most oily substances and does not become blotchy like our regular honed sample.
We are still waiting for two other samples of sopastone. Does anyone know what soapstone would have a more consistant appearance rather than spotted or blotchy?
Also, does anyone else have experience or feedback regarding the Satin finish absolute black granite?
Thank You...
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: julianne2 (My Page) on Tue, Feb 17, 04 at 10:21
bluebird:
I went to look at Green Mountain original (soapstone) slabs last week. Within that type there are many variations from radically veiny to practically unmarked. Some had spots, some had straight streaks, some had very light streaks. My fabricator is familiar with all the variations and works hard to match up pieces for a job. I picked some slabs with small muted streaks. We found 4 five foot slabs but no six foot slabs to match. There was another shipment coming so he is going to look through them to find matching pieces. You really can't tell from a small sample. You need to go look at slabs and pick yours out. I drove two hours to do that, and I'm really happy that I did.
There's a lot of foot work to this kitchen remodeling business!!!
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: bluebird_CA (My Page) on Wed, Feb 18, 04 at 0:48
Julianne:
Thank you for the info. I didn't realize that there are a lot of variations within a single type of soapstone. We'll have to take the time and visit the stoneyard to look at the slabs before we make any final decisions...would you mind telling me the ballbark figure for the soapstone you are considering. We have recieved such a range in prices anywhere from $65 a square foot to $115. Thanks again...
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: elsieCat (My Page) on Wed, Feb 18, 04 at 1:14
And do consider the Tulikivi soapstone--it's beautiful and harder (different makeup) than most Brazilian or U.S. soapstone. They use it to make buildings and outdoor stairs and such in Finland.
And WOW, a *satin* finish granite?? Now you're really confusing me, bluebird! Where did you find that? How come I've never heard of that before? Sounds like a really interesting idea...
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: brittneym (My Page) on Wed, Feb 18, 04 at 2:29
I'm curious about this finish as well. The sample I have is of a factory honed AB granite, and its pretty shiny. I was noticing that it seems more shiny then the pictures in the magazine. I was even wishing it was "more" honed! So I am wondering what I have...
i do know one thing, I am totally insane about this stupid countertop thing. Oh and people who like the patterned soapstone but are scared of the scratches should look at Celadon Dark. Its kind of a negative of soapstone-- its a grey with dark green veins and spots. It looks fantastic honed, and I would love to use it (its def. my favorite thing so far!), but am having trouble envisioning what I could ever match with it, and if my house can "handle" it, lol.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: julianne2 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 18, 04 at 7:33
bluebird:
The soapstone that I am getting is $80 a square foot. The estimate was identical to my honed AB estimate.
We just got the cabinets installed yesterday and I put my tiny slab of soapstone on top and it looks so awesome (a word I never use, but it is all that comes to mind). I was so worried that the cabinets would look horrible or I wouldn't like the layout. I can finally see things coming together... I can't keep out of the kitchen.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: bluebird_CA (My Page) on Wed, Feb 18, 04 at 21:20
Well I don't mean to confuse the issue, elsiecat, I know that this decision is one of the most difficult! I received the sample from a local fabricator who said it is a special order, and they can adjust the amount of honing so there is some polish. Our regular honed sample is not shiny at all, and it is also a mess...I can't imagine having an entire counter of this surface. It absorbs the oils from everything that touches it. We also used a color enhancer/sealer on half of it, but it didn't help for more than a week.
So far though I'm really happy with our satin finish sample. I rubbed mineral oil, vegetable oil, butter...and they all clean up easily with a little windex, the surface doesn't absorb the oils. Unless we find a soapstone we fall in love with, we are going to go with the satin finish honed ab. granite! Hope this answered a few of your questions!
julianne:
Thank you for the info on your price...it definetely gives me an idea of who to eliminate as far as soapstone goes. Oh, and congrats on seeing things coming together. We're not even close!
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Lisa90 (My Page) on Wed, Feb 18, 04 at 23:59
This is my first posting and I feel much better now that I see there are other people out there going through the same countertop torture! I have started to doubt my own sanity. I mean carrying my little soapstone sample in my purse so I can look at it every chance I get is a bit much!
Anyway ...I am agonizing over my countertop choices :( I am getting my red birch cabinets installed next week and still have not picked out a counter. Initially I was sold on Giallo Veneziano granite, but do not want to worry about oil staining the counter and the bold patterns are tough on the eye. Then I was convinced I wanted black galaxy granite but I think it would be too contemporary with my post and beam home with maple floors and oak beams and pine board ceilings. Now, I am seriously considering a 2" thick cherry island countertop (with the big 'clive' ogee edge) and soapstone counters on the perimeter. I just do not like the shine and cold feeling of granite. Am I insane for wanting such high maintenance surfaces? ....ug!
I was wondering if having a wood island top would get demo'd with homework, snacks, kids, etc? My other question for you soapstone owners is - Does the edge of the counter including the edge of an undermounted sink get worn down or chipped often from dishes and pans continually hitting it?
Any reasurrance would be helpful...Thanks, Lisa
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Kittymerr (My Page) on Thu, Feb 19, 04 at 23:03
Anyone heard of "Sigma Blue", a mottled greyish warm blue granite, if you can imagine from Brazil, if you can't imagine it see link. Saw it on the web site below and like the look of it. I am also in this horrible dimemna. I have beaded inset cabinets going in a creamy white, with some cherry wood tops around, wood floor, and I was thinking of a mottled greenish, blueish, grey (slate looking) not black, not a lot of veining... most durable... Live in NJ building in PA, anyone in these areas know of a good stone yard? I have a honey stain on cherry beaded inset cabinets going in the butlers pantry and was thinking of putting calcutta marble in there. What do you think? Too many tops? (The butler's panrty is a seperate room)
Here is a link that might be useful: Sigma Blue
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: elsieCat (My Page) on Thu, Feb 19, 04 at 23:35
Thanks bluebird! I did some digging, and we did find a 'more honed' and a 'less honed' AB, and it's just a matter of which finish the fabricator hones it to, that's all. Very subjective, not regulated :)
And that Celadon dark is beautiful too, brittney.
I'm still hoping for the lab countertop to actualize...
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Pammo (My Page) on Fri, Feb 20, 04 at 5:40
Kitty,
Check out Stone Surfaces in New Brunswick. Super nice people. They sent us to European Granite & Marble in Monroe to have a look at slabs. Again, the folks there were lovely. There's another yard, in Jamesburg I think, called OHM. They required an appointment, which we never made.
Sounds like your kitchen will be similar to mine in design. (We've decided we love wood more than anything; and are considering having no stone at all; but we stil have a couple of weeks to change our minds.) Email me if you need more info. Good luck with your project!
Here is a link that might be useful: NJ stone
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: kkay_MD (My Page) on Fri, Feb 20, 04 at 12:12
Lisa,
I have soapstone countertops and an undermount sink with no reveal. If I could do it over again, I would have a reveal to reduce the (inevitable) likelihood that the edges will get chipped. (I didn't want the reveal because I was concerned about a build-up of grim on that edge).
I spent the first week with my soapstone countertops in sheer terror. I woke up in the middle of the night panicking about the decision I had made to get this soft stone that scratches and shows wear (even though I had told everyone that that was WHY I was chosing this stone; shiny perfect surfaces don't do anything for me).
Well, I have lived it for a few weeks now, and I have relaxed immeasurably. Soapstone scratches, but when I oil it, the scratches and nicks disappear. I don't oil it obsessively any more, and I love the matte finish and the organic feel. I also have a butcher block island that I use as a cutting surface and will need to oil that as well. It doesn't feel like a chore (not yet anyway; check with me in a few months!) and I am happy with my decisions.
Karen
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: kiradv (My Page) on Fri, Feb 20, 04 at 13:01
I have heard that soapstone keeps odors -- a friend's friend got onion juice on her soapstone countertop and now can't get the onion smell out of her kitchen. has anyone else heard about soapstone-odor problems?
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: corgilvr (My Page) on Fri, Feb 20, 04 at 13:21
I just did the sniff test. I know I have used onions and lots of garlic this week and even left half an onion out overnight on the soapstone. This morning I did a quick swipe with soapy water and a dry with a paper towel and dab of oil. I can't smell anything on the counter. I've had 16 kitchens with a variety of counter surfaces. The soapstone and cherry I have now are the easiest to have the nicest result for my efforts.
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: Lisa90 (My Page) on Fri, Feb 20, 04 at 20:17
Karen,
Thanks for your reply! I glad you are not waking up any more at night and are happy with your decision :) I noticed that my soapstone samples lighten up quickly after oiling. I guess they will probably stay darker longer with time? I am getting a white fireclay undermount sink (with a Barber Wilsons Bridgemaster faucet) and am still on the fence about the soapstone. I dont want to stress about being careful with pans, etc. There is a homeshow this weekend in Boston that has a display of soapstone. Seeing a larger piece will help make my decision.
I am now thinking about Mesabi Black granite on the perimeter and still WANT cherry on the island even though everyone is discouraging me against it. I guess I will have to get a tough finish to protect it against daily wear and tear.
Lisa
RE: Slate vs. Soapstone vs. honed absolute black vs. polished ab
• Posted by: lasocal (My Page) on Fri, Feb 20, 04 at 20:48
we went through this very same dilemna a year ago (we wanted a dark gray/black non-shiny countertop).
Slate was out because it was hard to find a supplier in So. Cal. Then we almost picked soapstone, but DH didn't like how easily our sample scratched. We found a harder soapstone, but we couldn't pick our own slab and I didn't want pieces with too much veining. we then considered bluestone (a sandstone) but it was pricey. so we finally went with the honed absolute black. we love it. It's been in for almost 9 months now and guess what...NO STAINS!!! and it is not even sealed. I should mention that it will get the occasional surface stain--oil and some canned juices (high in acidity, maybe?) will leave a mark if left on the counter for a while, but it eventually fades. If I want a nice, dark, even look I wipe a thin layer of mineral oil on, let it sit undisturbed for 12 to 24 hours (hard when you cook almost everyday!) and the oil gets absorbed in and the stone looks gorgeous (and non-greasy). eventually the oil fully evaporates or gets cleaned off, after about 2 or 3 months of heavy use. the fading is very consistent throughout the counter (even on the backsplash that I hardly ever wipe or clean) which makes me think the oil actually evaporates rather than gets wiped away.
clean-up is easy, I use a well-wrung out miracle cloth, sometimes with a bit of soap if the counter is extra greasy or dirty.
pics are below:

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home