Feb 3, 05: Soapstone countertops (a "must read")

Many thanks to Blueginger for saving and forwarding this thread!

Soapstone countertops
Posted by twinpa (My Page) on Thu, Feb 3, 05 at 23:47
We are considering putting in soapstone countertops in our kitchen. We're also considering granite. We are a bit clueless about the advantages or disadvantages of soapstone.
Could anyone with soapstone countertops enlighten us? Are you happy with your choice? Does it stain or nick easily? How is maintenance?

Follow-Up Postings:
RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: skivino (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 0:30 · ·
Very very very Happy with our soapstone choice. We originally were going to get granite but circumstances changed our mind and we haven't regretted it for a second. In fact it's quite the opposite, we're SOOO happy we got soapstone. (I do love granite though).
One of the MOST common (why I have no idea) fallacies of soapstone is that it stains. I can't tell you how many times I heard "oh, becareful with soapstone it stains" comment from granite, tile, kitchen design people!
#1: Soapstone does NOT stain. It's impervious to EVERYTHING.You don't have to seal soapstone for this reason.They use it in chemistry labs for this reason. Soapstone oxidizes, thus it will darken naturally over time.
#2: It's very low maintenance. If you like it darker than it's natural gray state you will have to oil it. It's a very simple process of wiping a very thin layer of mineral oil on and then wiping it off. No harder than wiping down your counters. Initally you'll need to do it more frequently if you like the darker look, we did it about once a week/10 days for the first 2 months. Now (we've had it 6 months) I do it about once a month. I just oiled yesterday and the last time was end of Dec/beg Jan. It actually didn't really need it, I just wanted to rub my counters... I love them that much! (I know it sounds crazy!)
#3: It does scratch, but depending on which soapstone you get will determine how easily, due to the hardness. Our soapstone is called "original". You can't scratch it with your nail, but say if you drag a rough bottomed pottery piece it will scratch. The most awesome thing about SS I think is that you can easily sand out the scratches/dings w/sand paper. And many of the scratches will dissappear just by oiling it. It's not like you're getting scratches on a daily basis either. My kitchen gets heavy use on a daily basis and frequent scratching isn't a problem.
Depending on the amount of veining and quartz deposits your stone has the scratches really don't show up. I'm sure you could come and see my counters and you wouldn't know there were any scratches on it, that's how insignificant they really are.
#4: Has a matte finish, thus no reflection from undercounter lights, any lights for that matter and windows, nor do you get streaks or fingerprints that glossy granite gets. It wipes down beautifully.
I've had many friends come over who have dark granite in their kitchen and wowed over the soapstone, for many reasons, but the MAIN one being they hate the streaking factor of granite and loved the matte of soapstone. But of course you could always get honed granite. (Sidenote...I am NOT dissing granite...I think granite is beautiful...I'm just repeating what my friends have said to me.)
Well I hope that helps. I think it's obvious I LOVE LOVE LOVE my soapstone. If we ever move (not planning on it) I would put soapstone in my new kitchen in a heartbeat.
Here is a link that might be useful: our kitchen w/soapstone counters

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: twinpa (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 0:46 · ·
Thanks skivino for the info. Your kitchen looks great!
One more quick question. What is the price comparison between Soapstone and Granite? I found only one price quote readily available on internet on a random site and it was quoting $55/sq ft. which is much more than some of the most expensive granites. Is this in the ballpark or just an aberration?

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: skivino (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 1:08 · ·
Your welcome, and thanks!
Yes it's in the ballpark depending on where you get it from. I got mine from BucksCountySoapstone, which is local for me (and they only do local/tri state area) and paid $85 sqft installed. My counters were perhaps the only thing I didn't shop around much for price. I did get a quote from M.Texitera (spell?) and they were less, but then I'd have to have someone install it as my GC didn't do stone counters, and I just didn't feel like looking. Also I've lived in Bucks County most of my life so I was partial to him!!
Oh, there are granites that cost WAAAYYYY more than $55 per sqft, actually that price is considered an average price for granite, not a high one. The granite I fell in love with was....$135 a sqft! The more common granite's, as in Uba Tuba, Santa Cecelia among others you can find at a reasonable price.

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: LilaThabit (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 11:54 · ·
I have to say as a new granite countertop owner, I may reconsider next time and put in soapstone.
While the granite is gorgeous, I am freaking out about every little scratch. I did indeed test the sample i received and it passed then, but there are tiny little scratches in a few spots in my installed countertops. If it was soapstone, those little scratches could easily be sanded out.
I feel like I need to baby these counters, but that is not my style of cooking. I love to get in there and get messy chop away, not worry about heat, etc. Yeah, I know it's supposedly impervious to heat, but I remember reading more than once on these boards how heat cracked someone's granite.
I guess what I am trying to say is highly consider the sopastone! I kinda wished I did.
P.S. - I also went with granite because in my neighborhood, I don't think people would get the appeal of soapstone (or marble for that matter). If it's not formica or corian, they want to see granite.

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: Sweeby (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 12:19 · ·
As you can see from Skivino's kitchen, soapstone just has this incredible warm & cozy look. It's elegant and casual at the same time. The way the stone handles the light is very special - it glows, never glares.
In college, I worked in the microbiology lab, and the abuse those soapstone counters took? Stains (dyes, not the dirt kind), oils, bunson burners, spills of all sorts. Well, a simple wipe-down brought them back to good-as-new. (At that time, the counters were 40-50 years old.)
I had a beautiful granite island (Verde Veniziano) in my last house, and there were always greasy fingerprints. Granted, with the pattern in the granite, you only saw them 'sometimes' when the light reflected at a certain angle. But to me, they would 'jump out at me' sometimes, and seeing them was like a little poke in the 'good housekeeper' ego - not that I have much of one ;-). There was also a very 'hard' clinking sound each time I put a pot or glass on the counter - same with the cast iron sink.
Though I think some granites are among the most beautiful stones on the planet (Crema Bordeaux, Juparana Classico, Juparana Persa), I'm planning on soapstone for this kitchen.

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: MsAzadi (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 12:45 · ·
I have soapstone mostly because I wanted an impervious surface (I really do cook a lot and my bottle/washer dh does not see a lot of what I think is cleanup.). I also knew I could not tolerate the glare of a shiny granite and felt that the lovely shine was one of granite's plusses. At my age, and it appears none of get younger..., I need a lot of light and want it. When my halogen cans are on it's just great - no blinding reflections.
I think with granite coming down in price in a lot of areas, you may find that it is becoming a much more affordable option than soapstone.
Here is a link that might be useful: Not totally finished kitchen but soapstone is

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: blueginger (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 13:45 · ·
Ok, I dont intend to hijack twinpa's thread, but I'm totally falling in love with soapstone. I think it would be awesome with the cherry shaker style cabinets I'm planning.
But before I get to 'involved' with soapstone I want to make sure I can get it in my area without paying tons extra in shipping or am unable to find a fabricator. I'm in central Ky. I've seen several sources mentioned here and there on the forum, but as skivino said, Bucks Co. does only local/tri state area (Penn). Will this be the case with the other "preferred" sources of soapstone? Ive heard you guys talk about the softness of soapstone seen in places like HD.
So, can I get my soapstone? Or will it cost me a fortune to get it in my area? Should I just start contacting granite/stone yards in my state?
Thanks!!

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: mickeynick (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 14:10 · ·
Our soapstone countertops were installed about two months ago and we couldn't be happier. I had fallen in love with an irridescent glass tile for the backsplash, so we knew we wanted a matte finish for the counters. Skivino's kitchen inspired me to take a look at soapstone. It is lovely to look at and, even better, wonderful to work on. Very low maintenance, no worries about stains.
Blueginger--check out Green Mountain Soapstone. We has a lot of trouble sourcing soapstone here in the Chicago area, but Green Mountain has a local fabrictor who could template and install in our area.
Here is a link that might be useful: Mickeynick's kitchen

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: AnnaLeeF (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 14:34 · ·
We had Cobra Soapstone counters and sink installed in the Fall after drooling over ss for 2 years. We love that we can quickly pull an extremely hot pan of food off the range and place it directly on the counter without a moment of concern. We prefer an earthy matt finish and granite was too sophisicated a look for our terra cotta floors. Pictures are on My Page if you are interested.
We have had no problems & no maintenance worries. Guests don't know what it is when they see it; they just know it is stone of some kind. The colors change depending on how recently it's been oiled.

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: KiwiManor (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 14:49 · ·
What mickeynick said. I found our (terrific) fabricator by emailing Green Mountain. They're the source of the beautiful Original in skivino's kitchen.
Here is a link that might be useful: GM Soapstone site

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: Pinecrest (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 15:08 · ·
Mickeynick,
Wow! :-O

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: KansasKathy (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 15:50 · ·
Blueginger,
Vermont soapstone will also do the fabrication at their site based on templates and ship the finished pieces to you to install. They told me this week that it would be $77/sq ft fabricated and about 4 or 5 hundred to ship it to Kansas.

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: MsAzadi (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 16:58 · ·
blueginger, start calling every stoneyard and fabricator you can find. It amazed me that months into my research I was still coming up with the odd source for soapstone.
Much discussion has gone on in many previous threads about where the actual stone is coming from..which quarry i.e. but there really are more sources that appears at first glance.
Mickeynick...great kitchen. First I've seen it...2nd floor condo??

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: orchidluvr (My Page) on Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 22:55 · ·
Blueginger, like the others have said, I didn't think there was any soapstone in this area either (Detroit metro). Then, I found a fabricator that knew where there was some 3/4 inch SS (by trolling at a home show). My architect recommended my guy, who found the thicker stone. He told me that it came from Brazil so I am assuming that it is Mariana.
No pics yet, but it might be installed as early as next week!

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: beauxpa (My Page) on Sun, Feb 6, 05 at 7:39 · ·
I too am considering soapstone counters. We live in Florida and it has been impossible to source it here. I got a quote from a company I have seen mentioned for 27 a sq. ft. (just for slabs) This seems so low....anyone have any ideas as to why? I would hate to have it shipped only to have it break onsite. Anyone order thru M. Teixeira? I would appreciate any info...I have to place the order this week- yikes! :)

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: pecanpie (My Page) on Sun, Feb 6, 05 at 9:19 · ·
Orchidluvr, Mariana is just one of many soapstones from Brazil, all of varying color, veining and hardness. Best to get a sample first!
Beauxpa, good forum reports on M. Teixeira. Maybe AnnaLeeF and others will chime in and affirm....

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: KansasKathy (My Page) on Sun, Feb 6, 05 at 9:45 · ·
Mickeynick- Love your kitchen. Mine will end up looking somewhat similar in feel. Your tile are beautiful and of course the SS is too. I'm going to have a corner sink as well and am considering having a custom soapstone one made. Can't decide on that one yet. Does your hood have a mat finish or is that just the way it photographs? If it's mat, where did you get it?
All Soapstone people- does anyone here have a SS sink as your main sink and how do you like it?

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: AnnaLeeF (My Page) on Sun, Feb 6, 05 at 10:01 · ·
beauxpa (you must be cajun?): We bought Cobra from Teixeira in October and they are good people. Just need to order/see samples first because they carry many varieties and some are softer and more scratchable than others and the colors and veining vary.
KK: our Cobra sink is our only sink & we like it.

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: crwnpt (My Page) on Sun, Feb 6, 05 at 13:04 · ·
Another happy Teixeira customer here. I bought from their Southern California distributor and we cut and installed the stone ourselves. For just the slabs $27/sq. ft seems about right- I paid about $30.
Mickeynick- Beautiful kitchen! The soaptone/glass tile combination is what I would like to do as well but I was having trouble convincing others that it would look good. I showed them your pictures last night and the response was overwhelming! Everyone loved it!

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: Sweeby (My Page) on Sun, Feb 6, 05 at 13:28 · ·
Beauxpa - "I got a quote from a company I have seen mentioned for 27 a sq. ft. (just for slabs) This seems so low...."
Remember, a lot of the total cost is the fabrication labor. In Houston where I live, there is an importer that sells raw Piracema soapstone slabs for $25/SF. That same importer sells raw granite slabs for $6-$15/SF, depending on the variety. My point is just that M. Teixeira's $27/SF is not an 'installed' price, it's a raw materials price. Two very different animals...

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: blueginger (My Page) on Mon, Feb 7, 05 at 10:21 · ·
Thanks to all who have chimed in about how to source soapstone! I guess I need to get busy making some phone calls!

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: mizsnooks (My Page) on Mon, Feb 7, 05 at 23:58 · ·
I'm having my Teixeira countertops installed tomorrow - two different stones, because the main one I wanted (from India, with a lot of green, and happens to be the hardest stone they sell) would show a seam in my central cutting area next to the rangetop. So that big area stone has a lot of veining in it, and I think they'll look interesting together; they never actually touch. Now my only anxiety is whether to use the beeswax/mineral wax combo on it or not.
A tile salesman who used to sell granite told me that granite is actually quite soft inside, the reason it has to be sealed regularly. And confirmed that it cracks under heat.

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: boopadaboo (My Page) on Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 11:08 · ·
Can you get a soapstone backsplash? I don't think I have seen any pictures of that and I am curious....
mizsnooks - please let us know how your install goes!

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: MsAzadi (My Page) on Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 11:15 · ·
Yes, you can do a ss backsplash. I have a 7" one at one of my islands. I would consider ss tiles for that also. I'm not sure how ss (or granite for that matter) is attached to the walls, but I recall the red dragon granite kitchen here which had a granite backsplash.

RE: Soapstone countertops/backsplash
· Posted by: boopadaboo (My Page) on Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 11:45 · ·
Thanks MsAzadi. I hadn't remembered seeing it in your pictures. it is funny how you make a decision on one thing and move to the next and have to relook at all the pictures since you were only focused on the one thing last time you looked. (if that makes any sense, that is what happens to me)
I think I remember reading that you were debating on oiling your soapstone - did you make a final decision either way?

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: pjsluna (My Page) on Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 12:15 · ·
So if one was to look into soapstone slab countertops there are harder and softer types? Do I just need to try scratching it myself? Otherwise I guess you just have to take the word of the supplier?
Does it come in blues, brown or green or just gray?
Any one have a CA bay area source?

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: Lispeth (My Page) on Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 14:22 · ·
pjsluna~M. Teixeira has a place in San Fran. They have blacks, grays and greens. I've never heard of blues or browns. Get samples, oil them at least a few times and let them sit around for awhile before you decide. All their varieties are unique and beautiful and some are 'softer' than others but personally I think you'd have to be quite brutal to really hurt any of them. Using common sense and a cutting board seems like the obvious scratch prevention but if it happens, it's not a huge issue. You simply oil or use a fine sand paper & then oil. The scratches also add to the 'character' of the stone. If you like a 'perfect', more formal look you won't like ss.
Here is a link that might be useful: M. Teixeira soapstone

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: KiwiManor (My Page) on Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 16:12 · ·
boopadaboo: We've got a full height soapstone backsplash in part of our kitchen. When I ever get it figured out, I'll post pics. It looks great. The stone is fixed to the drywall with silicone - simple as pie. Our fabricator's "standard" backsplash is 4", but they will do any height you wish.

RE: Soapstone countertops
· Posted by: boopadaboo (My Page) on Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 17:44 · ·
Thanks for the info Kiwi - I dont know why i hadn't thought of it before. I feel like I have figured out my cabinet style, counter choice, appliances and backsplash this week. I am so excited! Between this thread and the yellow kitchen cabinets thread I am almost set! Nothing else really felt right! This does (I swear, I am not changing my mind again*@*$@#$^! and that is final :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home