Feb 28, 05: Soapstone pricing

Soapstone pricing

Posted by tshad (My Page) on Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 1:20

I own a soapstone fabrication business. We charge 85.00 per sq. ft. - installed. I have heard as low as 72.00 and as high as 200.00 per sq. ft. There certainly are a lot more people selling a lot more varieties of soapstone than there were when I started in this business. It's kind of scary because a lot of the newbies don't know much about the product they are selling.

I have spoken with many people that are selling soapstone. A few of them really know their stuff but unfortunately most of them don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about. Remember, as with anything, the cheapest price is sometimes also the cheapest job.

Someone in one of the posts mentioned the "art" of stone work. Working with soapstone is an art! If your fabricator doesn't feel that way...you might want to look elsewhere.

I am completely passionate about soapstone. If I can be of any help to anyone here, please ask.


RE: Soapstone pricing

Thank you for offering your expertise. I am sure you will get a lot of responses.
I would like to ask about serpentine; am I correct that it is somewhat similar to soapstone? It sure feels like ss and none of the acid tests I did fazed it, but it was easily scratched with a knife. We found slabs of "Oasis green" and really like it but I have been unable to find out much online and would appreciate any info you can provide.

RE: Soapstone pricing

tshad - thanks for your kind offer. We have purchased some lovely soapstone slabs (1 1/4") through a local distributor who got them from Brazil. My husband is a contractor and a good carpenter and we plan on doing the fabrication and installation ourselves. We are in Canada and there are not a lot of people involved in soapstone fabrication in our area and who are are very expensive. Also the quality of the soapstone they are using is suspect. We would like to know two things. First, what kind of epoxy should we use and do the seams mostly disappear when you sand and oil them?

RE: Soapstone pricing

ABG...We only work with soapstone and I don't know much about other stones. (Too many to try to learn about all of them) Here's a link that may help http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/serpenti/serpenti.htm

Peachieone...Sounds like your husband should be able to pull it off. I am a former cabinetmaker and finish carpenter. Good carpenters are the best candidates for soapstone fabrication. You'll want to use a good knife grade stone epoxy. We tint ours to be almost black. Disappearing seams depend on a few things. Do your best to avoid having a vein run into a seam. Make sure all your slabs have the same color tone. Slightly back-bevel the stone edge that is coming into a seam. Hope this helps. Please feel free to e-mail me if I can help.

I would not recommend D.I.Y. soapstone fabrication to the average homeowner, but if you have the skills, I think you can pull it off. I've had one client purchase stone from me to do it himself. I gave him my cell phone number and he called a lot. He did pull it off but said if he had to do it all over again he would have gladly paid us to do it.


RE: Soapstone pricing

Hi tshad,

I am planning on having my soapstone shipped from back east. Do you happen to know any good soapstone fabricators in the Southern California area? If not, do you have any suggestions of questions to ask a potential fabricator?

Thanks!
Bloodhound


RE: Soapstone pricing

Thanks tshad! I have passed this on to my husband and he was very appreciative. He is a competent finish carpenter too so we are hopeful that this should be do-able. He loves the soapstone and is really looking forward to doing this. We do appreciate the offer to email you if needed though!

Soapstone as a counter top seems to be a growing trend in the US. I actually got the idea to use it from these forums because I just wasn't "feeling" the granite for this particular kitchen. The popularity hasn't really crossed the border much at this point so it is difficult to find fabricators up here. We looked into a few and we were leary of the kind of stone that was being offered as some seemed to be very "crumbly". That combined with the very high prices that we were being quoted prompted us to look at doing it ourselves.


RE: Soapstone pricing

Boy, tshad, if I could talk you into coming east, and talk Bill V. into coming west, I'd be in hog heaven with a beautifully-done soapstone kitchen with a Bill-Bling-Bling-Backsplash.

Glad to have another artist on the forum! We really appreciate your expertise and advice.


RE: Soapstone pricing

Welcome, tshad! Glad to have you on the forum.

I have a question: what's the skinny on soapstone as far as heat resistance?


RE: your location?

Oh, one other thing. Where are you located in California?

RE: Soapstone pricing

Bloodhound.. I am in the San Gabriel Valley. Also, there is plenty of soapstone here in So Cal, and you don't have to pay for shipping. Peachieone...Sounds like you can definitely do it.
Riotbrrd...Heat does not affect soapstone. I have actually taken a blow torch to it.

RE: Soapstone pricing

Bloodhound, we ordered ours from Soapstone West in San Diego.

RE: Soapstone pricing

tshad: I'm in Cal too, but in No Cal. I would classify your price as *reasonable*, not the lowest as you noted, but very good and definitely worthwhile esp. for those who want the peace of mind of an experienced knowledgeable fabricator and installer. Since you are a commercial poster, please be EXTREMELY careful about your content, and rememember you cannot provide the name of your business. People and businesses have been kicked off by management -- and it is a lifetime ban. Pleas for mercy by other posters do not make a difference. We want you to stick around!

My GC goes through a particular fabrication & installation place that also sells stone. Their soapstone experience goes back something like 20 years, they know the GC so presumably have an incentive to continue to do go work. They told me they don't want to deal with an outside supplier of soapstone unless they have a prior relationship because they would not know if the quality of the soapstone supplied would meet their standards.

What questions should we ask of prospective fabricators/installers to separate the wheat from the chaff? Number of references from past soapstone customers? What things should set off alarm bells? And who the heck is charging $200 sqft and what are they promising?

Thanks for your insights.


RE: Soapstone pricing

tshad, Thank you so much for offering your experience to us. We ordered Ipanema from Soapstone West in San Diego ($89 sf). Can't wait! Have you ever installed soapstone on Ikea cabinets or are you familiar with their construction? Will you give me your opinion on whether the cabinets need extra reinforcement or a subtop? Thank you.

RE: Soapstone pricing

Bemily... You probably dealt with Greg at Soapstone West. He's a really neat guy. I happen to use another supplier, so I don't buy from him, but think he is a real stand-up guy. Yes, I have installed soapstone on IKEA cabinets with no problem. No re-inforcement and no sub-top.

Kitchen Obsessed...Thanks for the warning. I am certainly not here to drum up business, we are booked for months. I am just nuts about soapstone and want to make sure that folks have a pleasant experience and are getting a good job at a fair price.

As for your questions...references, references, references. I think that pretty much says it all. If they have a lot of happy clients, chances are that they are doing something right.

The 200.00 figure I heard about was in Santa Barbara, Ca. There is a lot of money there and I think someone took advantage of that.


RE: Soapstone pricing

We paid $40/square foot (C$) for our soapstone which is coming ready to cut and install. From what I am reading here, it looks like we did OK. Good news because we sure aren't getting any deals on cabinetry and appliances. The cost of the whole reno/addition has been way higher than I expected-and this was done without having to pay most of the usual overhead because my husband was the GC. When I put the numbers together on what the kitchen alone is costing us, I nearly fainted. I will have a great kitchen but will likely only be able to afford to cook Kraft dinner for a year!

RE: Soapstone pricing

Wow, I am so excited to finally post here. I have been lurking for weeks now, and decided to join in on the soapstone discussion.
We are presently in the end stages of a 1400 sq. foot addition. This will include my dream kitchen and I thought that absolute black honed granite is what I wanted, but after seeing a couple of kitchens with it, I decided in my heart of heart, soapstone was IT! Finding a supplier has been challenging here in Michigan, but I think we have a good one, selling Green Mountain soapstone. And I have to say, I feel like I sometime knew more than the people selling it. One place I called, when asked what kind of soapstone they carried, told me "soapstone is soapstone", but I knew better from reading up here.
Anyway, I do love the soft look of it and would love to have carrera marble as my island countertop. My KD is opposed to this, as is the place that is supplying the soapstone. I think their main concern is that it is porous and will stain, etc. I really love the softness of the marble against the soapstone on my countertops surrounding the island. Does anyone have an opinion on this or an alternative solution? Thanks so much for any input, and I am SO excited to be here!!!

RE: Soapstone pricing

I'm planning to use Vermont Soapstone, as they are close enought to me that we can easily pick up the countertops ourselves. Their price is $77/square foot, fabricated but not installed. The cost does not vary according to undermount or top-mount sink, or according to edge detail. Does that price seem reasonable?

I'm very pleased with the appearance and hardness of their soapstone, and they offer a lifetime replace or repair guarantee. And they sure know their soapstone--that's all they do.


RE: Soapstone pricing

I just ordered my samples from M. Teixeira Soapstone. I have a sample at home from another place too, but M. Teixeira Soapstone is located less than an hour and a half from me so I don't think I will have to pay any travel surcharge. They said $80/sq foot installed. I thought that sounded reasonable!! I am so excited to get my samples. Now I just have to finalize the design :) there are so many things to make sure you have covered and so many details!!!!

RE: Soapstone pricing

Anyone know of a good source in Georgia? I know there used to be a quarry here, but 's about all I know...

RE: Soapstone pricing

Yummum...I have done a few kitchens that used our soapstone for one area of the kitchen and carrera marble for another area. In my opinion, it is an incredible look together. Most of my clients had their designers or contractors try to talk them out of both materials. They were all glad that they stuck to their guns.

Tom


RE: Soapstone pricing

tshad, a couple of questions please. We are getting soapstone over a 40" x 8' peninsula with a cutout of 16" x 6' bar area unsupported (you know just counter/no cabs underneath for seating). It does have 2-12" cabinets on the side but the center is unsupported and needs corbels (2?). What size (depth) corbel do you think we need. Any other info regarding this?
Also, how much counter do you typically leave in the front and back of the sink for an undermount? And how do you account for the slight height increase from the sink edge on the cabinet? Hope this makes sense and thank you.

RE: Soapstone pricing

bemily...If I'm understanding this correctly, you will have basically 16" x 48" unsupported on your peninsula. As a basic rule of thumb, anything over 12" should be supported. Two 10" x 10" corbels would be plenty. I am a bit of an over-kill guy and like to see some plywood under something like that. You could let a 12" piece of ply in between those two 12" cabinets then edge the front of it with whatever complimented the cabinets. With that and two corbels...you could dance on it.

I like to see no less than 3" of stone at the front of an undermount. The big concern on the sink is that you have plenty of room for your faucet, of course, accounting for the thickness of your splash. I've had clients with huge sinks and we 've had a hard time squeezing it all in.

I assume you are setting your sink down into a piece of plywood...we rout out the thickness if the sink rim so that it sits flush.

Hope this helps, Tom


RE: Soapstone pricing

I am going to go with my KD and look at other options for my island since she is so opposed to the marble, but in my heart I will most likely go with the carrera marble, and do so realizing and understanding the drawbacks. My island is not huge, so in 10 years if I can't live with it I'll do something else.

RE: Soapstone pricing

Yummum--
Please don't let anyone talk you out of the beautiful combination of soapstone and Carrera marble. We have soapstone on the main perimeter counters, the marble on the pastry counter, and butcher block on the island. Of these three, the marble has been the lovely pleasant surprise. It never looks dirty, and even things which have stained it have faded a lot, even in just a few days. Of course, my husband has instructions not to open bottles of red wine right there, and to avoid tomato sauce and other obvious staining things, but it really hasn't been problem. Make sure you get it honed---it will go nicely with the matte finish of the SS, and minor scratches and stains won't be obvious. My 2 year old likes to bang whisks and cutlery on it, and it is much more impervious to scratches and dents than the SS or BB. Good luck!
Amy

RE: Soapstone pricing

tshad, Thanks for your reply. Actually the unsupported peninsula is 16"x 72" but I think the principle is the same. So, this plywood should go on top of the base cabs right (or set in?), which adds that height to all my counters? or am I completely confused

RE: Soapstone pricing

bemily...you can just do the plywood in the section between the two 12" cabinets. It needs to be notched in to the insides of the two side cabinets and the inside of the peninsula. The top surface of the plywood is then level with the tops of the cabinets. Also, it's nice to do the plywood with the same finish as the cabinets. Make any sense ?

RE: Soapstone pricing

I was just quoted a price of $1400 for about 4 feet of soapstone around sink area only (other counters to be wood.) Fergit it!!!!

(& this is Wisconsin not santa Barbara)


RE: Soapstone pricing

Amy, will you pretty please post pictures of your marble?
Thankyouthankyou.

RE: Soapstone pricing

I just got a price for tulikivi soapstone at approx $56/sf not including install, which seems to me a very good price. Unfortunately, they're about 3 hrs away and I'd also have to pay for delivery if I don't want to pick it up myself. I'm just wondering if I should try instead to find a supplier who'll also install it; I'm a little concerned that whatever carpenter I use for the kitchen may not want to take responsibility for a countertop material he's not familiar with and/or may charge me a premium to do so. The supplier has said they'll send a sample piece for the carpenter to "test" his skills on so he can feel comfortable with it. What do you think?

RE: Soapstone pricing

How would soapstone counters (more black, little veining) look with ash cabinets with a dark "oak" stain and a dark "clay tile" look floor? I always picture soapstone with a wood floor and white cabinets.

RE: Soapstone pricing

tshad, Yes that makes sense. Thank you for all your help.

rivendell, I think that would look fine but I would make sure the walls/backsplash are light/contrasting.


RE: Soapstone pricing

We have just received and installed our soapstone. The pieces were pre-cut and all we did was remove the old counters and put these in place. We received and followed instructions on joining and other things - presto we're done. And they look fabulous. We paid $60.00 Canadian everything included and that worked out to be about $48.00 U.S. We received samples of other soapstone and found that not all soapstone are alike. We love the look of this Canadian soapstone. I'll put their link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: soapstonecounters.com


RE: Soapstone pricing

JosephLinse, what was your shipping to Georgia, if I may ask?

RE: Soapstone pricing

rivendell,
we have satillo terra cotta floors with soapstone counters & the combo is good. However, our light contrast element is the cabinets. (My Page, if you are interested).

RE: Soapstone pricing

Tshad,

You are like manna from heaven!! I am waiting for my stone to be delivered all the way from New Jersey and I'm up here in N. Cal. The east bay area. I ordered Rainforest green from M. Teixeira and paid a little over $1,000 just to get it shipped and it will be delivered right to my fabricators warehouse. I know I sound stupid, but when I received my sample, I fell in love.

My question to you is I found a VERY reputable fabricator but has never done soapstone. I hired him because of his track record and because he was reasonable and there just aren't a lot of fabricators who even know what soapstone is, including him. Of course he saw my sample. I do believe that if I brought him back IMPORTANT information about fabrication and installing he would welcome it. Can you PLEASE caution me on what he needs to know. I.E. cutting, seams, etc.

Most of his work I'm sure has been with granite. THANKS so much in advance if you can offer some advice. I'm pretty freaked out about this I have to say!!

Randigirl


RE: Soapstone pricing

Hi Randigirl,

Did M Tex send you their word doc w/ hints/instructions re: self installation? I have pasted the contents below.

I just oiled my samples this morning and was so surprised by how beautiful I thought rainforest green was! I thought I was leaning more to the darker colors. I'm going to live with them a while and keep looking at pics of other people's kitchens before I make my final decision.

Do It Yourself Instructions:


Step 1 : Cutting The Stone


First, we want to make sure that the slabs being cut, are on a flat surface and fully supported, not allowing a piece that is being cut from the slab to fall, this will chip the stone at the end of the cut.

You will use a straight edge to ensure a perfect straight cut. Although soapstone can be cut with a masonry blade, we recommend that you invest an additional $50.00 on a diamond blade (wet/dry) to get a faster and smoother cut. This blade can be found on your local hardware store, and will go right on your circular saw.

You can cut the stone dry, make sure to use a respirator mask, and because of the amount of dust, cut the stone outside if you can. Do not force the saw to go faster, apply a light forward pressure and let the blade walk through the cut, be specially careful on the last 2" of the cut. On COBRA soapstone we recommend making two passes per cut (stone is 1 1/4" thick, cut 3/4", then 1/2"), on the other stones you can cut it in a single pass.

To avoid scratching the face of the stone you may want to use a masking tape to cover the metal on the saw or you can place the masking tape on the stone wherever there is contact between the saw and the stone.

We also recommend that you do a practice cut on a section of the slab that you will not be using, just to feel it before you actually start the project.

Step 2 : Edge Finishing

If the edge finish you want on your countertops is a simple one, like a bevel, eased edge or straight polished, you can do it with your orbital sander or a belt sander or even by hand using a sanding pad. You can start using 80 grit, then 120 grit and finally a 220 grit (Cobra soapstone, go an additional 320 and 400 grit ) to match the factory finish we put on top of the slabs. Do not worry if your finish come out a bit lighter than ours, after you apply mineral oil to the countertops that slight difference will disappear.

If you like a full bull nose or an ogee for example, you will need to use a router with carbide bits.

We also recommend doing a practice edge finish, before you actually start finishing your final product.

Step 3: Sink Cut Outs and Faucet Holes

To do an under mount sink cut out, you have a few options. You can use a jig saw (with a metal speed blade), an angle grinder with a carbide or diamond blade, or your circular saw. The trickiest part is the radius corners, that vary on each sink model. You can use a hole saw and drill holes on each corners and let your jig saw do the radius, or just do the whole cut out with your angle grinder. The angle grinder also comes in handy to clean up the corners.

To polish (hone) the cut out edge, follow the same procedure mentioned on step 2.

We recommend allowing for 1/4" of stone to overlap the sink all around instead of making the cut out flush with the sink.

For farmer's (apron) sinks, like our soapstone sinks, you will save yourself some time, since you do not need to do a cut out. There will be a countertop to left and one to the right of the sink, and a small piece of soapstone in the back of the sink seamed to the two countertops. Believe us, if you follow our instructions the seams will be almost invisible.

For your faucet holes, your hole saw will do the job just fine.

Step 4 : Making Seams

Unlike granite, seams on soapstone are almost invisible. You will have to really look for them to see it, and you cannot feel them. Your guests will never know there are seams on your countertops (if seams are required).

You will use a knife grade black stone epoxy which we can supply.

Using your angle grinder, "scar" the edges that will be seamed (about 1/8" deep) to allow some epoxy to go in when the pieces are pressed together.

"Butter" the two pieces generously with the epoxy/hardener mix ( the epoxy only gives you 10 mins. of working time , so make sure you are ready to seam before mixing in the hardener). Press the two pieces together as tight as possible. Some excess epoxy will "ooze" from the top. Remove the excess epoxy with a spatula and let it dry (10/15 mins.) Sand about a 4" area around the seam using 120 then 220 grit sandpaper with your sander. You will notice the seam line getting thinner. Once you apply the mineral oil to the countertops, you will barely be able to see that seam.
Please place the countertops on the cabinets and seam them in place, instead of seaming them first, then moving them to the cabinets.

Step 5 : Installing the Countertops On The Cabinets

There is no need for a plywood base on the cabinets to accommodate the soapstone . Your soapstone countertops can go right on top of the cabinets.
After the countertops are on the cabinets, you will run a bead of silicone wherever there is contact of soapstone and cabinets from the bottom and inside the cabinets.

Step 6 : Mounting the Under mount Sink to The Countertop

We recommend drilling slots on the bottom of the stone on the 4 corners of the sink cut out. You will drill a slot that can accommodate a screw head in the stone, so you can attach your clips to secure the sink to the stone. You will also run a bead of silicone along the edge where the sink is in contact with the stone.


RE: Soapstone pricing

Regarding the pricing--Teixeira Soapstone for all Brazilian soapstone is pre-fabricated, ready to be installed is $58 per sq ft. Installed is $80 per sq ft.

RE: Soapstone pricing

Hi pecanpie,

The SoapstoneCounters people told me it was $60.00 Canadian or $48.00 U.S. when I first inquired and sure enough it was the stone and shipping included to Georgia. I'm pretty sure they offer such great prices because they own the mine. I would e-mail them yourself just to make sure, they're very good at getting back to you and they don't bother you if you're just looking for information.

Here is a link that might be useful: SoapstoneCounters


RE: Soapstone pricing

I have looked at the Soapstone Counter site too and as we are located in Ontario we would have been happy to use them for that reason alone. You are right - their prices are pretty well unbeatable and they seem very helpful. And in reading their site, it does appear that they have their own mine. Just one thing - it is Quebec soapstone and there are, according to our local soapstone guru (longtime Native carver)and our own tactile experiences differences in the different kinds of soapstone. We did get some samples of Quebec soapstone from another fabricator and we decided after much research to go with Brazilian. The sample that we got from Quebec (not from the Soapstone Counter place) was pretty crumbly. We picked up our Brazilian slabs yesterday ($40 sq foot C or approx $31 sq ft US) It was labour intensive. My H and the guy we bought them from had to load them (about 3500 pounds!) into our truck, secure them and then we had to drive them home (2 hours) and have another guy come and help H unload them into the garage. We also bought some gorgeous blocks of multicoloured soapstone which we will slice and make tiles for the backsplash for. The slabs are partially honed on one side and with a little oil we could see that they were beauties! Now my husband (who has done a lot of finish carpentry in his work) will have to cut and install but it seems like it is pretty do-able.

RE: Soapstone pricing

Randigirl...looks like blueginger got your answer to you.
tshad

RE: Soapstone pricing

Hi Peachieone,

Let me put on my amateur Geologists hat. Soapstone like any other material that is mined, takes on characteristics particular to that area, which is why we had the people send us a sample. The Quebec stone that we have is very similar to the Vermont stone that was mined many years ago, in that it is smooth and soapy feeling which is a quality that attracted us. We have had samples of Brazilian stone, however we found them rougher and lacking in the "marbling" character that we enjoyed. The company told us that within the area and in fact within the quarry itself, there are various grades of stone. The softer grade they sell for carving, which was probably what your friend is familiar with and then the harder grade they process for counters.

The SoapstoneCounter people sent us a lovely sample that we use in the dining room now for hot pots etc… We did pay for it, which was mostly shipping and then had the price credited when we purchased our stone.

I think the best move we made was to get a "working" sample before taking the plunge. We did everything thing to it, including sand and refinish it. It was like our test drive, because let’s face it, we all have our preferences.


RE: Soapstone pricing

Another good source of info for DIYers:

Here is a link that might be useful: working w/ soapstone- soapstonecounters.com


RE: Soapstone pricing

Tshad,

can you please give us some pointers on what questions to ask soapstone dealers, as well as the answers we should expect and anything else we should look for?

I'm in Orange County CA, have found exactly one soapstone dealer in this area (who I have yet to visit).

Thanks . . .

Thanks.


RE: Soapstone pricing

"You will use a straight edge to ensure a perfect straight cut. Although soapstone can be cut with a masonry blade, we recommend that you invest an additional $50.00 on a diamond blade (wet/dry) to get a faster and smoother cut. This blade can be found on your local hardware store, and will go right on your circular saw."

I think it is more important to use a more powerful saw (a good quality circular saw). I used a worm drive saw and a standard carbide blade. My experience showed that a carbide blade is all that is needed (no need to buy a diamond blade). Saw power is more important for a clean, smooth cut.


RE: Soapstone pricing

Blueginger,

Thanks for the help. Yes, M. Teixeira did send what you posted, I just wanted to cover my bases and see if tshad had anything extra to offer since he's coming from a fabricators perspective rather than a stone distributor's perspective. I see though that tshad saw your post and didn't add anything so I guess it'll work.

Thanks to both of you.

Randigirl


RE: Soapstone pricing

Hello to tshad and all. I am new to soapstone and, in fact, all counter tops as we are just now planning the remodel. I want counter tops that I can cut on, put hot pots on, spill stuff on, and not really have to perform a whole lot of maintenance on (i.e. lots of sealing). My wife LOVES the look of soapstone and the little I've seen thus far is very appealing to me as well. So, I'm wondering if this material is right for BOTH of us. Thanks for your expert opinions.

RE: Soapstone pricing

You can put hot pots on soapstone and spill stuff on it but you sure can't cut on it. It scratches too easily for that. In fact, I wouldn't cut on any countertop because it ruins the edge of your knives.

RE: Soapstone pricing

I'm in Northern Calif. and just had my soapstone counters installed by a place called Carrera Marble Co. two weeks ago. They are beautiful and I totally agree with tshad that working with someone who considers himself an artist makes all the difference in the world. They worked really hard to make sure all the veins match up as they spill over the edges (I did a thicker laminate edge), as well as, at the seams. These counters are truly a work of art. I did pay over $100 s.f., but I think it was so worth it and would highly recommend them.

RE: Soapstone pricing

tshad, where in the SGV are you? Would love to get an estimate for countertops and installation. Grew up in East and old houses always had soapstone. I'm in SE LA/N orange county area. Trekker, a couple years ago I went to the soapstone guy (you'd be surprised at how many people have never heard of soapstone, it took months to find him and now I've forgotten his name, can you help me out... some sort of very Italian ethnic name) in OC, near Orange or Santa Ana, Anaheim area. He was reasonable and had alot of slabs and ongoing work, but we wanted to compare prices and there was no one to compare. Recently went to Home Depot Expo who started carrying it. $72.00 sf, $20.00 extra per lf if you want edge rounded, farm house sink ranging from $600-$800, depending if you want single/double. The product that HD had on hand had a whole lot of white/gray veins in it. My wife wants it as dark (of course after oiling) and uniform as possible. We both realize it's a natural stone, but the stuff at the guys place in OC was really well cut.

RE: Soapstone pricing

SFMelanie,

We live near Carrera Marble. I was wondering what supplier you purchased your soapstone from. Thanks!


RE: Soapstone pricing

sashal, the folks at Carrera Marble have been great! In fact someone is coming by at noon today (Sunday) to repair one small nick in the stone in the back of one of the counters that we didn't catch before. We also purchased 12"x12" soapstone tile from them for our fireplace surround that's in the same great room. They searched for a soaptone tile they thought would look best with counters.

RE: Soapstone pricing

tshad, could you tell me how to support an undermount sink in an Ikea cab base for ss. I believe you said you've installed ss in Ikea cabs before. There is no front/back in the cab but a top strip towards the front and one towards the back. Any advice is appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home