Feb 25, 05: Soapstone warning--long
Many thanks to Blueginger for saving and forwarding this thread!
Soapstone warning--long
Posted by Buglady_DE (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 10:39
At the risk of dissuading people from getting soapstone who are really meant to have it (you know who you are), I feel compelled to write this post. A little heart to heart with you folks who are on the fence, so to speak.
I have been on these boards for close to 2 yrs now. And in the last 6 months, there has been a huge increase in the number of posts by folks considering soapstone. I keep thinking to myself that in another 6 months or so, we are going to see a lot of people posting that they are disappointed in their soapstone countertop. I hope that is not the case, but really, soapstone is not for everyone.
I've had my soapstone since October 2004. I have "Original" soapstone from Bucks County Soapstone Company. And I am just so happy with it. One of the best decisions I made for the remodel.
But still, when I read posts where someone is trying to decide between granite or soapstone, I keep seeing red flags. Especially with regard to either keeping it oiled or worrying somewhat about nicks and scratches, I really want to push these folks toward the granite.
The cost is about the same as granite, but this stuff "wears". That's what we mean when we say it develops a patina. It gets nicked and dinged and scratched. I sort of compare it to soft pine wood. I have a lot of pine furniture. It gets dinged up and scratched. I don't think pine is all that popular with many people for this reason. So it is a bit perplexing to me how soapstone is suddenly becoming so popular. Whereas pine furniture is inexpensive, soapstone is quite pricey.
What I can tell you is that in just a few months, my soapstone has all kinds of little nicks and scratches. I haven't even bothered to sand them out. Since I know where they are, they catch my eye all the time. But I still don't mind them. I love my soapstone and I love my pine furniture.
Oiling is another fact of life with soapstone. You can choose to oil or not to oil, but most people oil it. When I oil my countertops, I have to take everything off them, my hands get very oily in the process, and it is an extra chore that I didn't have to do before. If you love soapstone, you will easily defend the extra work and say that it is all worth it and such a small extra task. That is how I feel. How about you? Can you really imagine adding extra work to your day for lovely countertops?
I am very much a realist and a practical-minded person so that is why I feel compelled to post a warning. Be honest with yourself, soapstone gets nicks and scratches. One of the reasons I like soapstone is *because* it gets nicks and scratches. Think about it.
Climbing down off my soap*stone* box now. ;)
Follow-Up Postings:
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: caseyb (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 10:43
What a nice explanation. Thank you, Buglady. :)
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: sarina (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 10:43
Great post buglady , I commend you :)
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: kecs (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 11:24
Good post, Buglady. And astute of you to note this potential for disappointment down the line, given the bandwagon effect here recently.
Yes, I love my soapstone. Yes, with sanding and oiling it has a renewable finish. Yes, it is impervious to acids and alkalis so abundant in kitchens. Yes, it is dense--denser than any other stone. Yes, it has a quiet appearance. Good if you don't want countertop *bling* competing with your Lacanche or Viking or knockout backsplash.
No, ss's not 8 on the Moh scale. It's at 2 to 4.
Granite is 8 on the Moh scale.
So those of you teetering between the two stones, ss and granite, and find yourself preoccupied with the potential for wear, Buglady's right: "Soapstone gets nicks and scratches." Desirable patina to some. Unsightly wear to others.
Only you know which of these might best describe your reaction!
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Claire_de_Luna (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 11:30
Hi Bug. I appreciate you coming here and talking about soapstone. I started out wanting it and changed my mind just for the reasons you state. My husband drops things constantly, and I didn't want this to be a bone of contention between us, which is why I chose a harder surface. Deep in my heart I wanted soapstone! Part of me still does, but I think we made a good compromise between us.
Good for you (and anyone else considering this beautiful countertop). Perhaps this should qualify as a ''living'' finish! It's always good to know what to expect from your choices.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Logic (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 11:46
Interesting about the nicks and scratches...none of which I seem to recall from science lab countner tops...nor does DH (who still is not really sold on SS BECAUSE it reminds him of lab in school..LOL!).
So..is it that they use a harder SS in school science labs...or is it that no one notices? After all, they must keep the same tops forever..and the abuse must be pretty extreme, therefore, if they are so prone to nicks and scrathces, seems that would be apparent to anyone who remembers the counters from school.....
I remember science classes.
· Posted by: Claire_de_Luna (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 11:52
I remember vividly, names, hearts, B&M, and on and on in My science labs!
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: mary_ct (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 11:58
Invaluable advice, Buglady, thanks. You may have popped the bubble for some of us. Pine cabs are an excellent analogy -I currently have old pine cabinets, and don't think I'd want its "worn" look on my countertops. Other posters have mentioned a possibly "inconsistent" look/finish w/ss - my cabs are dull in some areas, not so in others and I suppose that'll be true of soapstone over time. My 35 yr old house has enough worn looking things already :-), so I'm leaning toward granite again...(for now!)
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Mjfc (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 12:49
I really appreciate your post. I am one on the fence but its more because I don't know if I will mind the wear. I am one who always is drawn to worn and chipped items. I was collecting these types of antiques before "shabby" became so hot. It is the patina that I like. It is what makes the items look old. I know this is the look my kitchen will be and the ss counters would only add to it. I happen to be very kind to counters (always use cutting boards, trivets, etc.) so I don't see big issues. I guess there is the fear that some fluke thing could happen and there would be more of a major damage.
I am just worried as the nicks & scratches happen that they will bug me. That it will be hard to get over the initial few. It will be what my eye is constantly drawn to. However, I feel that over time when the wear/patina is throughout the counters it will be fine.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Sharon_G_in_MA (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 12:55
This is a valuable message Bug. Thanks for sharing it!
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: mindstorm (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 13:26
Very good post. People go researching on the web in order to find out the advantages as well as the mitigating factors of the choices they face. Some of the choices we see people make here become so much like a religion that listing a "but ... " sounds like blasphemy - some of the recent marble and Ikea threads come to mind here. I think it does a disservice to those who are serious about research for them not to be able to list on their "cons" list ... "must seal every 6 mos." or "must oil every 2 mos". Those who are drawn to "pros " list will deweight the 2 monthly or 6 monthly treatments, but others who are patina-phobic really ought not to deweight those.
Unfortunately, if someone else decides to make up your mind for you that ... "oh sealing/wiping up a spill stat is not a big deal so this really should not even be mentioned" ... it defeats the whole idea of full disclosure and informed decision-making. I like the way you say it: If you love soapstone, you will easily defend the extra work and say that it is all worth it and is such a small extra task. That is how I feel. How about you? ... basically you are saying that the material is so in keeping with your preferences, that the work to maintain it doesn't become a burden. I don't love having to clean my 4 glass walled shower, but shucks! I love it a whole lot more than the 4", mouldy, tiled cave I had earlier so the daily glass wipe-up is a non-issue for me - doesn't mean that others must agree.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: janedibber (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 15:04
fyi, fence people should look at honed zimbabwe black granite for a fairly realistic soapstone looking countertop. But note, it still has that "hard" stone look, where soapstone does not (to me it looks soft/earthy). i also think slate gives the same feel and look as soapstone without the maintenance/patina issues and worth consideration.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Katalina (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 15:32
Buglady's message got me thinking. I chose soapstone because I really really wanted it. I had samples to test and they scratched. I knew all the pros and cons, people tried to talk me out of it and still I wanted it. I searched granite yards to come up with an alternative to no avail because nothing came close to the look. I looked at Richlite and Corian and all the solid surfaces and still--you know the rest. I oil mine with a wax and oil mixture and it looks beautiful to me. I have scratches and a few little dents but somehow they go away after a while. Immediately oiling a scratch doesn't cover it right away but after a time it's no longer visible. I live with the extra care and don't have any regrets.
On the other hand, I did everything I could to avoid any glass in any shower in my house. I think the frameless doors are beautiful but no way am I going to be a slave to keeping them pristine. I don't love them enough to put up with it.
But with soapstone, I don't mind. It's like I've always said about men: they all have their faults, you just have to find one with a set of faults that you can live with!
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: bemily (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 15:44
Beautifully said. I feel that way about my soapstone and it hasn't even been installed yet.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: skivino (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 15:53
I agree...Great Post. Us "sstoners" (well at least I do) tend to overlook what others see as a huge con and Diane you did a wonderful job of pointing out the reality. Especially about the oiling...I just did it this morning, and yes I had to move everything off the counter, but as you said this task is not tedious to me because I know I'm about to enhance something I love and that extra time is not a chore to me but actually a pleasure. It's 10 minutes of therapy..a calming motion of rubbing the oil/beeswax (Dianne I finally tried it and WOW it's great) brings me peace not frustration, which it will to many.
We've had ours since July 04 and yes it has nicks and scratches, but most people wouldn't notice the majority as they blend in with the quarz veining and inclusions. However, there are certain areas, mainly around the sink where there are chips and nicks which would drive the person who likes pristine absoultely insane. I love the "personality" (aka patina) that our counters are developing and look forward to it 'showing' itself even further.
Very thoughtful of you to get this info out for the fence sitters, and yes the ones who can "take" it will be like us and love their soapstone, but those who can't and end up deciding to go with it anyway, I fear will be greatly dissapointed.
For those on the fence, try to find someone near you (maybe difficult I know) who has soapstone and ask to come see it first hand. I think if you see it with the nicks and scratches pointed out to you, you'll have a better understanding of what we're explaining. I live outside of Philly for any of you in this area that want to see it up close and personal.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: currycook (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 16:36
buglady, thanks for your great description. I had always figured on using granite for the new house, but then kept seeing posts about soapstone and wondered if I should be considering it too. However, I do like "pristine" looks. I hate the first ding in my car and DH is even more so, going around the house at least once a month touching up any little dings in the paint and trim and grumbling over dings in the baseboard from the vacuum. He's actually having travertine baseboards in the new house so they don't get dinged. And we live in our kitchen!! So, short story made long, I guess we're not soapstone candidates. I signed the order for my 3 cm copper canyon granite slabs (already on hold) today without any remaining qualms!
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: boopadaboo (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 17:00
Well, I thought I had my mind made up - but you are making me rethink it!
I appreciate that you all took the time to put this info out for everyone else. I have an old house so the idea of soapstone appeals to me. on the other hand I will be having lightly distressed yellow painted cabinets and I have DH who is pretty hard on things. So I am concerned that if I have banged up soapstone and distressed cabinets in a few years it will start looking tired and abused and that is not the look I am going for!
I have not gone to any granite yards, so I think I will have to keep that on the options list and let dH know that I have not final decided on the counters yet (he will just love that!) oh well. I would rather make the right decision. Maybe a honed black or some other color granite will be the right choice for me. I am not so concerned with the upkeep although that is a factor too. I just don't think the shiny granite will work with the look I am after....
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: KitchenObsessed (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 17:49
Whew! Buglady, I was so afraid something really terrible had happened to your ss like cracking or a cavernous gouge. I love rustic pine furniture, too. I worry that my eggshell painted cabs will initially look a little too pristine and refined, LOL! House is too small for a distressed farmhouse look. No doubt the cabs will catch up with the inevitable ss dings and scratches soon enough!
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: kkay_MD (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 17:58
I couldn't agree more with the OP. And I have to add, it doesn't take a fluke to cause a nick or ding in a soapstone countertop, like mjfc mentioned. I dropped my wedding ring on the counter, and it left a nick (it's a thick, heavy ring, but it's only a ring). My son's root beer bottle toppled over--another nick. I dropped a spice bottle on the countertop, and there's a sizeable ding. These are just everyday occurrences, nothing catastrophic. Anyone who wants soapstone should understand that it can look different every day, depending on when it was last oiled, and if someone dragged a mixing bowl across the counter, or if the pasta pot hit the edge of the sink. To someone who likes the look of wear and tear, that's the beauty of soapstone. To someone who likes a pristine look--you'll be very disappointed.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Inox (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 18:07
Have any of you ever seen a home countertop made of Colorlith? I have not, but have been curious about this material.
According to Thomas Moser, colorlith is made under 400 tons of pressure from Portland cement, silica sand, water, and fillers, and has no veins or strata. It weighs 30% less than natural stone.
There is a sealer that is supposed to last for five years. See www.fireslate.com.
Here is a link that might be useful: Colorlith
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: GeordieB (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 19:49
"...It's 10 minutes of therapy..a calming motion of rubbing the oil..."
I agree with Skivino, I have come to actually enjoy the oiling "ritual" of our soapstone (well, except for moving everything off the counters!). My wife finds it quite amusing that I have taken over kitchen cleaning duties in our new house, especially the countertops. Put on some music after wife and DD are asleep, clear off the counters and do the oiling. I must be nuts!
However, I am surprised at how well I am taking the "patina" of the soapstone. Oiling helps, but things do happen to it, and, much to my delight, they don't bother me. This was my biggest fear and potential for regret. I do use cutting boards for opening cans and bottles, so there is a conscious effort to keep scratches to a minimum. For us personally, we simply didn't like the hardness, coldness, or gloss of granite or marble. We loved the idea of not worrying about acids, juice, hot pots, etc. BUT...there are definite tradeoffs, and I'll let you know how I feel when my 4yr old daughter is in high school, and having friends over who will be less gentle with the counters. It will be really interesting to hear from all the new 'Stoners after a year or two of living with them. Think I'll put a reminder on my calendar to start a thread circa Feb '07: "So do you *still* love your soapstone?"
Thanks for the post Buglady!
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Buglady_DE (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 20:18
Thanks everyone for all the support for my post. I felt it needed to be said. Hopefully, I haven't offended anyone with soapstone. And I don't mean to drive anyone away from it either, as long as you are prepared for the realities of this material.
boopadaboo--This still might be the right countertop for you. The way you describe not wanting shiny counters and how your cabinets will be distressed does fit with soapstone. I hope that in a few years I don't think my counters look tired and abused either! Sorry if I'm adding to your confusion. Have a look around and if you come back to the soapstone, you will know it is the best thing for you.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: postquake_angela (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 21:14
What a thoughtful and timely message. My friend and I just got back from the Home Expo, where we both became totally enamored with soapstone. Even though the salesguy explained to us that it was soft and needing oiling, we didn't really translate it into "alot more work". Our eyes were too glazed over. While I'm willing to do more work to maintain a material I love, my friend will soon be a mother of two and doesn't need more tasks on her plate.
I'll relay your message to her. Thanks for posting this, Buglady.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: boopadaboo (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 21:16
I agree Buglady - it is still on the list. I had been concerned as well since DH said that he didn't like too much veining. The one I found that I like the most without veining was cobra. Since that wasn't available anymore I thought I would have a hard time finding one we would both like.
Turns out I got my first soapstone samples today! yippee!!! And guess what! DH loves the veining. That means I might be able to go with a company that is pretty close to me - only an hour from my house and 20 minutes from our office. so I can go see it in person and maybe even pick out the slabs. I am so excited. Did I say earlier that I might not want soapstone? I must have been temporarily insane :)
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: ctlady (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 21:22
I've been watching the soapstone posts (because we too love the look, but fear we will not love it after 5 years of serious cooking activity), and I really appreciated the honest appraisal of pros and cons. I've particularly noticed all the exquisite pictures of newly-installed soapstone counters (which ARE spectacular, no doubt about it!) but I keep wondering if there is someone out there who has had a ss counter in for, say, 5 or 6 years, who could post a realistic picture of how it looks now? While I understand the concept of the patina that develops (dings, nicks, scratches), I'm having trouble visualizing a "used" soapstone kitchen counter (I avoided most science labs like the plague and have blocked out all memory of the countertops in the few I had to attend!) Any 5-year plus ss counters out there? It might help us make a decision one way or the other...
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: baton_rouge (My Page) on Fri, Feb 25, 05 at 21:26
I have soapstone countertops and sinks in my kitchen and all my bathrooms and I love the look of soapstone. I ordered from Vermont Soapstone. I have had no problems with them in my new home built three years ago. I wanted a different look in my laundry room and chose matte finished tile countertops in there.
I do not care for granite in my home, it is just to modern looking for the style of my home. I have always loved the look of soapstone or tile. I really think it depends on the style of your house/kitchen in what you choose for your countertops. If I had a more modern house I would probably choose granite countertops. Granite can be very stunning in a kitchen or bathroom.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: corgilvr (My Page) on Sat, Feb 26, 05 at 8:25
Two years and still loving them here. Mine show no real "wear" and I got a piece of sandpaper out for the first time last week. I grew up with a huge double bowl soapstone laundry sink in my parents home. It had a shelf of marble above it. The sink took some hard abuse and still looked good after at least 80 years of laundry, dog washing, automotive parts interaction, etc. All of the other original porcelain sinks were long gone. The old marble was a mess of stains and rings and discoloration, but still looked better, to my eye, than the much newer laminate in the kitchen and bath. I offer this information to demonstarte my love of natural materials and the patina they obtain through use and time. I grew up with soapstone in an area that took lots of hard use.
I have always had to move things off any of my counters to clean them. The "cleaning" is extended by minutes for oil/waxing with a completely food safe product that I don't even have to use. Your counters will not be permanently discolored if you do not oil. They can be restored to their oiled beauty at any time. They will not etch or stain from acids. They require no special cleaners. I have a combination of soapstone and cherry counters in my kitchen and pantry. The soapstone is on the island with cooktop and the sink counter and backsplash. Neither of those areas has much "stuff" on them. I find the soapstone much easier to maintain than my previous tile or laminate counters. As the laminate aged I frequently used a "dressing" on it to make it less permeable to stains. I bleached stains out of it. I don't even want to get started on tile/grout care. I also have a piece of soapstone on the floor in front of my kitchen hearth that gets very little attention and lots of foot traffic from people and dogs.
On kecs advice, I started using an oil/wax mixture on my counters. I've played with the proportions and now have a very firm blend that goes on easily and, according to my cabinet maker, "feels like really good leather" and causes most liquids to just bead up. I think the wax also helps with some of the issues rough pottery could cause to a counter. It takes seconds to do a quick wipe where boiling water might have splashed and left a lighter area on the stone. I keep my blend in an old sugar bowl on the counter so that it is at hand whenever I need or want it. You can also put a dab on your lips or cuticles!
I wrote a long time ago about soapstone and wood counters working for people who are more tactile in nature. If you are a very visual and pristine person, you probably do not want soapstone or wood. I live in an old house with old wooden floors. I still wax my wooden floors by hand. They glow. All of my wooden furniture has either painted or hand rubbed oil finishes. I don't use polyurethane on anything. I expect natural materials to have natural qualities. I love the way oil and wax feel on my hands and enjoy the safe nature of the products. I will challenge the significance of the amount of time required for cleaning or oiling when compared to other surfaces I have had. The objects did not levitate for cleaning on my other counter materials and bleach and abrasive cleaners felt far worse on my hands than an oderless, food safe oil. Oiling counters is no different than slathering your hands with lotion. My hands and counters are improved in the pleasant process.
I think everyone should do research on any counter material and decide if it meets the needs their kitchen presents for them and their lifestyle. People who jump on any bandwagon are bound to be disappointed with properties they choose to ignore at the peak of the excitement phase. I agree with skivino that you should make an effort to go to a working kitchen to view, feel, and apply products to any counter you might be considering for your kitchen. I think you would leave my kitchen with an honest, but far more positive, take on soapstone and its wear and care. No winks.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: kjb120 (My Page) on Sat, Feb 26, 05 at 11:29
Buglady, I really appreciate what you said. I started seriously considering soapstone after i joined this forum. After looking into it more, I've decided it's not for me for all the reasons you stated. I love how it looks but know I personally like things crisp and clean and it would not work for me. Thanks for telling it like it is. I'm not sure if I'm going for honed granite or a silestone like material but at least I'm narrowing down my choices.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: mitchdesj (My Page) on Sat, Feb 26, 05 at 11:41
the person who likes pristine is not a candidate for soapstone;
also the person who gets annoyed at comments by people viewing the nicks and saying to you: oh, your counter is scratched !
It is a beautiful stone; I've learned a lot about it; if I did another kitchen I would consider it seriously. My home was built with distressed materials but I picked granite and it is pristine still after 4 years.
This type of thread is truthful and necessary, specially on the subject of soapstone.
This reminds of of corian lovers who say; stains are not a problem, they scrub right out. Right there, if you have to really scrub stains, that's high maintenance but if you love corian, you don't mind doing that. But you should know in advance that corian stains easily.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Fairegold (My Page) on Sat, Feb 26, 05 at 12:13
Excellent points made, Bugs. That's why we try to tell people that "YMMV" and how much people vary on what will and won't tolerate in all manner of things. We did our countertops for a really cheap, stop-gap measure, in slate tiles. But hearing here how many people obsess about verious aspects of cleaning, I've always made it plain that this is not for everyone. If I got a very large check in the mail tomorrow (HA!), I'd love to have somehting else. But I have 90 sq ft of countertop, and it would take the price of a new small car to do what I'd like.
Some people spend more time cleaning than I do cooking.... and I like cooking! ;-)
Thanks for adding to the great body of wisdom on this forum, once more.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Soupgirl (My Page) on Sat, Feb 26, 05 at 13:04
Buglady, you're the best. That took a lot of time and effort on your part to post and I am sure it'll be useful to those who are considering soapstone countertops but haven't made up their minds yet.
· Posted by: tshad (My Page) on Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 1:47
Hi Folks. This is my first post here. I hope this is okay. I am a soapstone fabricator. I just wanted to say that I agree with Buglady. Soapstone is not for everybody. Of course neither is granite or corian or tile or any of the other countertop materials. Definitely, soapstone is not for the faint of heart. I have talked several people out of using soapstone. I would feel terrible if one of my clients called me and said they weren't absolutely thrilled with their soapstone.
I went to take pictures on a job that I had installed a ways back and my client took me over to her soapstone sink to show me "the cool" nicks and dings she had put in it. She should have soapstone.
I, of course, am passionate about soapstone. I still freak out every time we oil a newly installed countertop. For those few who have to have soapstone, it is for you.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Buglady_DE (My Page) on Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 9:14
Hi tshad and welcome! Yes, that is why I wrote my post. I would feel horrible if I started seeing a rash of posts from disappointed soapstone people, when I just love this material.
"The cool" nicks and dings comment makes me smile.
Thanks for posting, and I hope you hang around for awhile and share your knowledge and experience with us.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: okellyo (My Page) on Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 9:51
FWIW, I just visited a friends' 5 year old soapstone kitchen. She has 3 children and a very busy life. Her countertops were gorgeous, didn't look the slightest bit "used and worn". Even my 14 year old son was knocked out by the warmth that the countertops gave the room, compared to the shiny granite that we have been seeing.
Don't know if I'll be able to afford soapstone, but it there is anyway it will surely be going in my kitchen.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: mindstorm (My Page) on Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 10:07
One more thing to anyone considering soapstone ... does anyone know about Italian soapstone? I saw an absolutely utterly beautiful stone on the upstairs counter of Restoration Hardware in Boston. I had to ask about it - it was an Italian soapstone. I've seen soapstone before and always really liked it but this thing was like manna from the heavens. Does anyone know how and where to get Italian soapstone without paying for freight from Italy?
But you should all go and visit RH to look at their counters. Ask if the counters have been newly redone as in the past couple of years - if so, its this Italian thing. I was told by the guy I spoke to that RH bought a boatload of these slabs, have hoarded them, and are redoing their stores with these new slabs. (Hmmm, I wonder if they'll sell me their "old" soapstone counters ... ) At any rate, if you're in Boston, their store on Boylston St is a sure thing for viewing this stone.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: pecanpie (My Page) on Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 14:39
mindstorm, was it Pietra Cardosa? Or am I utterly and totally confused?
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: randigirl (My Page) on Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 22:23
Thanks so much to all of you veteran soapstone owners. I am now waiting for my order of rainforest green soapstone from M. Teixeira. I paid more than $1,000 just to have it shipped to me. I live in N. Cal in the SF bay area. I am so anxious and nervous all at the same time. I NEVER would have taken that leap of faith to order a material hundreds of miles away without your knowledge, suggestions, and honesty. I worry a little about the hardness factor, but there is just no stone like it than I have seen and I'm ready for the oiling and the patina to begin.
Thanks for all the advice, I sure appreciate it.
Randigirl
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: mindstorm (My Page) on Sun, Feb 27, 05 at 22:57
pecanpie, No they definitely said it was Italian Soapstone, not Pietra Cardosa.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: greg_b (bergmannart@sbcglobal.net) on Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 0:31
Dear Bug Lady,
This is the truth....Soapstone is not for everyone...old timey rustic wearing is what to expect.It is however very different from high gloss granite and is virtually stainproof ...but expect it to patinate and be "beautifully flawed". It also won't be affected by heat or chemicals. It is an excellent alternative to the "formal " and somtimes "cool" look of granite.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: GeordieB (My Page) on Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 1:25
mindstorm,
Our fabricator uses a couple of sources in the Seattle area for soapstone. We called the stone warehouse, Michaelangelo's, after ours was installed to inquire about the origin of our stone. They told me it was quarried in Brazil, and "slabbed" in Italy. I haven't confirmed this by talking to other sources, but perhaps this explains the "Italian" soapstone that you've seen. We were told that while Brazil has the quarries, Italy has the skilled workers to turn it into slabs, which are then shipped around the world.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: binsb (My Page) on Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 3:03
Thank you BugLady for this thread! It has brought me back down to earth to re-assess whether or not ss is really the route for us.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: ahne (My Page) on Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 7:21
Hi --
I too am a soapstone lover and hoping to have it installed in a kitchen redo later this year. A question for those of you that have it, people have told me [people who don't have it] that it can be brittle. I've tried to figure out what exactly that means in terms of a countertop -- maybe the edges are vulnerable to super heavy pans that are dropped? But wouldn't that be true of any countertop?
So, do the soapstoners among us find soapstone to be brittle? Any insights or is this just another bit of misinformation about soapstone?
Still loving it,
Andrea B.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: Buglady_DE (My Page) on Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 8:24
Andrea B.--I am at a loss on that one. I would not describe it as being "brittle".
I guess what they mean is that it chips easily. But everything is relative. All stone chips, and because it is a natural product, you can never be sure where there might be some inherent weakness.
Actually, most countertop materials chip, when I think about it. Stainless steel comes to mind as one that does not. And wood dents more than chips.
I've only had one chip. And that was along the edge when I dropped something heavy. It was a small chip, and I sanded it out. There is the slightest dip in the edge where the chip was. You can't see it, but you can feel it. I'm not sure that you would even be able to find it if you were standing in my kitchen.
I would tend to think that the people who call it "brittle" are passing along terminology that they heard somewhere because they have already dismissed soapstone as an option for themselves.
RE: Soapstone warning--long
· Posted by: mindstorm (My Page) on Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 9:20
Geordie, Interesting information about sources and resources. Maybe that is what it was ... but it sure was beautiful, and it was definitely unique.
Buglady, sorry to be pedantic here, but I cannot help myself. Your response to Andrea would be correct if you replace "brittle" with "fragile" - they are not the same thing. Anything that will not comply is brittle - granite is brittle, as is diamond, cement, and the indestructible porcelain. Wood complies - i.e. it deforms in the direction and the way that you apply force until the applied force exceeds its "elastic limits" and at that point it breaks. Steel is the same way - except that its elastic limit is much higher; and to go completely off-topic, Steel will cross over from elastic (snapping back to original position) to plastic behaviour, before it breaks (aka loses cohesion). Stone however, will not bend, conform, or contort. Granite for example, will withstand and resist much higher forces than a slab of wood, but it will not "give" or comply. However, when it gives, it breaks - hence the chips, shatters, etc. This is also why you are advised not to stand on unsupported stone counters whereas you could dance a jig on wood - again within its limits. I'm sure soapstone is brittle - it is a stone afterall - so this terminology people are passing on is correct. You have more information than I about how fragile it is.
All of this is a bit of a broadbrush coverage of the actual scientific truth. In truth, stone gives a little - if you have a light-table, you may be able to see it. ;-). Everything has an elastic regime, and transitions from there. Also, if you impart a sharp enough force to wood at the appropriate enough angle, you can chip it, too.
For Katalina
· Posted by: hddana (My Page) on Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 9:38
Katalina,
Just curious--how did you avoid glass shower doors? I'm intrigued.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home