Aug 30, 04: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

Many thanks to Buglady_DE for saving and forwarding this thread!

Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

Posted by whitemagick (My Page) on Mon, Aug 30, 04 at 11:31

I just got a qoute from them today, and it was very reasonable to me (I think) I was wondering if anyone used them, and more specificly their stone: COBRA.

It really looks nice, I will not be oiling the counter, I want dark, but not black, this one seems to be just right.

Any comments about them?
Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cobra, scroll to bottom


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

We did. We wanted Cobra but after waiting for 2 shipments for a "large slab" to come in we changed to Anaconda. For looks *I* like Anaconda better, more veins, but Corba was harder and if not planning on oiling at all it is a darker stone.

I found Roger very helpful when it came to figuring out what size stone we needed (we didn't want to have any seems) and in giving DIY advice. I never went there but DH did and thought everyone involved seemed very helpful.

Good luck!

Cathie


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

I used them over two years ago and got the cobra- they were efficient, very pleasant to deal with and we are very satisfied with the results. We have almost stopped oiling for lack of time but I notice that the stone is gradually turning darker anyway with daily use


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

This is I was looking at on line and wondered what the final cost per sq foot came to? I truly want an undermount sink and this is the only solid material I really seem to like.


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

We are thinking to use this Co. as well. Can anyone here give me a general idea of how easy (or hard) it is to scratch one's soapstone that you would want to sand out the scratch? I have visited all the manufacturer's websites and they give so much info on repairing one's top that it really makes me wonder how often one scratches soapstone in normal use.
Thanks for all feedback!


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

All my cost info is in the "Budget kitchens" thread in the Gallary; here's the Soapstone: "Countertop Anaconda Soapstone from M. Texieria 1,448.00
100"x57" slab + cutting charge ". The cut charge was around $300, and was basically to cut the slab in 2 pieces, cutting the corner angle for my corner sink. DH did all the rest of the cutting/finishing.

We've had installed since around April 2003 and have not felt the need to sand any scratches out yet. In fact we are about to put our home on the market and the only "to-do" task related to the counters is to oil it more frequently (probalby hasn't been done in 2 - 3 months!). We do ahve a few minor scratches, there are 2 that I've noticed but there are probably more. One happened a few weeks after we installed when a guest dragged a rough bottomed wine bottle across the counter. But it just blends into the veining unleess your looking for it.

There are some pics of the install that you can get to through my profile.

Cathie


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

kitchengirl,
You really have to get samples. Some types of Soapstone are easier to scratch than others. Also you really have to see the finish yourself (a scratch to you maybe patina to me). When I recieved my samples I could not scratch them with my fingernail, things being dragged across the sample showed a little but not enough to bother me, all the samples were easily cut into with a knife (this was also the case with formica and corian). Minor scratches were masked by oiling, deeper scratches have to be sanded out. Having formica counters now, I really don't see me cutting or getting deep scratch marks on the soapstone (but it's nice to know that if I did they could be sanded out).
(as a side note I also left ketchup, mustard, wine and vinegar overnight on the sample, all were cleaned with no staining)


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

Thanks Cathie. Your kitchen is saved, tho I have to say I got to page three before I realized that the 'gray blob' on p2 was the soapstone. Fortunately, we are talking rectangular cuts, not one humongous one like you all have. I love the red too -my current dining room color.


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

Teixeira just installed my Cobra countertops about a month ago. they were great to deal with. Be there when they install, they will oil them! I was going to wait but it was too late they had started to oil. Also the stone was very greyish before it was oiled not really black.

best of luck!


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

Pictures, Martin ??? Pls.


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

Thanks for all the replies!! I am getting really frustrated though. I can't find anyone who will install the counter from Texixeira. They will only install soapstone from their sources, or they never installed soapstone before. So I went to a place that has soapstone to install, and I tell ya, the guy would not let up about how soft it is! It was funny, cause after every negative thing he had to say about soapstone, he would say, "But I'm not trying to talk you out of it or anything." I got to the point of almost arguing with him....He said you HAVE to oil it. All the time. Ummm, no you don't.
They were trying to talk me into honed Granite. They finally gave me a price to install the soapstone.
How do I find someone to install the Cobra that I really want?


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

Add some blackmagic to that Whitemagick?????


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

whitemagick,
Teixeira sent someone out to my house. I quess they contract out people to install out of their area. I'm about 2hrs away in SE Penna. I would contact them directly. I think i remmeber reading that they do travel out of the area on their website.

MsAzadi,
I dont have a digital camera at this point but i did use my rewards credit card to purchase most of my kitchen make over. I have a hefty reward coming from circuit city. I'm getting an LCD TV for under the counter. Maybe i will pick up a digital camera also!


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

I just bought my pitched front SantaRite SS sink from Teixeria. Extremely nice folks. All the talk about hardness has me wondering if I made a hardness mistake with Santa Rita SS. I just picked out the stone with the least veining, I want a very quiet appearence. Have any of you with SS counters used the Santa Rita? I have not ordered my counters yet, Teixeria is waiting for a Santa Rite shipment, so I have time to change my stone selection. I don't think changing stone at this point would be that noticable as all I have is the sink. What should I do?


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

I went to NJ twice to look at the stones and to pick up my sink. Just FYI, the Cobra is the hardest they have BUT, The cobra stone IMHO has way more green in it, I say NO blue at all. I have blue as my accent color and that's why I studied the Cobra color so carefully. If it's blue you're after Cobra is NOT for you. Do any of you SS people know what is the hardest and the least veiny stone available? I'll buy anywhere to get this. VA, PA, CA anywhere!


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

HeyPearly-
Not that I did any truly scientific study, but I got samples of the major soapstone companies. I found Alberene from The Alberene Soapstone Company (formerly New World Stone) to be more scratch-resistant than Cobra.

I'm going with the Alberene. Cobra was a very close second. Here are some pix of the various soapstone samples I got and played with. Scroll through to the next page. Good luck!! Keep us posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone Samples


RE: Anyone used M. Teixeira Soapstone?

Pearly--
Alberene (in VA) for me, too. You should know it comes in a greenish color and a charcoal grey color that takes on an even bluer cast next to the color blue. Sounds like what you're looking for.
Pamela

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home