Apr 5, 05: Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast? (incomplete thread)

Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast?

Posted by bluemick68 (My Page) on Tue, Apr 5, 05 at 14:52

I am 95% sure that I am going for soapstone counters. I want the color to be on the charcoal black side - no green. I would also like some veining. We live in NY just north of the city. I have spoken with Vermont Soapstone and Green Mountain Soapstone. Does anyone have experience with either company and was it good or bad? Or do you have another source in the Northeast to recommend?



RE: Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast?

We used Bucks County Soapstone which is about an hour north of Philadelphia. We were very pleased.

RE: Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast?

I priced all the dealers/suppliers/installers in the area (I'm in upstate NY, near Albany) and we are going to use M. Teixeira in Garfield, NJ. Cheapest by far and they have the widest selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: M. Teixeira soapstone


RE: Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast?

We also used Bucks County Soapstone and was very happy with them.

RE: Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast?

lyc5e, are you happy with the job Bucks County did? We are in the Philly area, and are leaning towards Bucks County for our soapstone. Just visited their showroom and was quite impressed, plus their sample seems much nicer than the ones I have from Texiera and Vermont Soapstone. . .

RE: Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast?

We also used M. Teixeria in NJ. The stone goes in next Tuesay! They were very easy to work with.

RE: Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast?

vatopa~ I'll chime in...We were very happy with BCSS. Scott was very nice, install went with smoothly. Oh I felt a sample of Vermont soapstone at the historic home show in January (in Valley Forge) and it felt NOTHING like ours. It was bumpy! sort of like orange peel. yuk...

RE: Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast?

Vermont soapstone is the Mariana- very hard and charcoal-y in color. We ordered our Mariana from another wholesaler and didn't care much for the texture of our sample, either- but it was honed to only 80 grit. Many soapstone samples are honed to a silky 220. That's what we'll request for our final finish.

RE: Where did you purchase soapstone in Northeast?

Yes we were happy with the install although I do admit I didn't really deal with them much. We went to their showroom and looked at some slabs and they noted that we wanted very minimal veining and a smoother finish than what was their standard and then our kitchen designer did everything else with them as far as coordinating everything.

I did come home for the installation of the soapstone which was good since one of the cabinets (that the guys had just gotten installed that morning) was wrong and they worked with the kitchen guys to just not attach the soapstone to those cabinets (it was the island) and left them whatever they needed to finish the job when the correct cabinet was installed.

The only thing that was stange was I asked if I got to keep the 3 cut outs. The guys doing the installation said no, so then I asked if I got a refund for those square feet since I paid for the whole slab. I don't know if people never ask for the cut outs or what but they seemed quite befuddled. It wasn't something I wanted to fight about so I just let it drop. After they were gone I noticed that they DID leave the cut outs outside the garage door. I don't know if they changed their minds, called in and asked, or what but they never spoke to me again after I asked for them initially (they were not very talkative in general to me).

The whole installation took a few hours, not even a whole afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home