Apr 5, 05: DIY Soapstone pics

DIY Soapstone pics

Posted by yellowhead (My Page) on Tue, Apr 5, 05 at 23:40

For those interested in doing your own soapstone, here are my pictures of the process. Thanks to everyone on this forum who - knowingly or unknowingly- have helped me with my kitchen remodel.

I plan to do a beadboard backsplash and replace the cabinet doors with shaker-style doors (but right now I just want to enjoy the countertops without dust everywhere!).

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Soapstone pics



RE: DIY Soapstone pics

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! What a fantastic job well done!! It looks really beautiful.
You obviously knew what you were doing with those saws. Would you be so kind to let me know whereabouts you are in CA (northern)?? I noticed the green hills background in a couple of the pics and they look like the ones near my backyard. My husband and I would love to talk with you more and check out the countertop in person if you are, by any chance, in the East Bay area (I know, kinda in-your-face request, but we are just too thrilled). Pls. send me an e-mail.
Thanks for sharing your pics. Learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed them!

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Well done! It looks fabulous. You must just feel that special sense of pride ever time you look at them...bbb

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

It looks really beautiful!

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

WOW!!! Absolutely gorgeous and you made it look so easy!!! I might have to consider soapstone for my next kitchen, LOL! ;o)
Kathy

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Wow~ you must be so pleased. You make it look effortless! Any hindsight for those of us that may attempt something similar?

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

They look wonderful! Congratulations Stoner! We'll be tackling ours very soon - maybe even today. Can you tell me how messy they were to cut? We will be cutting outside of course, but DH is concerned about all the stone dust. And were the seams hard?

RE: DIY Soapstone pics Posted by: reno_fan (My Page) on Wed, Apr 6, 05 at 9:10

I'm so totally impressed!! That kitchen is going to be great!

Why do I feel like I have last year's handbag with my granite? LOL!!


RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Thanks everyone for your kind words. We are very pleased with the way the soapstone came out.
Sweeby, it is VERY dusty. We tried spritzing with a spray bottle while cutting but it just gummed up the saw. Seams are not hard. The trick is to cut the stone precisely to minimize the size of the seam. Even so, they are not that noticeable after oiling. My soapstone is Ipanema Reserve. It has a lot of light colored spots. I noticed that when I sanded the epoxy at the seams, the "background" stone sanded away easily but the spots were harder stone and remained slightly raised. If I look for it, I can see bumps on the finished countertop where I sanded. I'm not sure if you need to use a grinder or something to avoid this. Good luck with your project!

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Thanks for the pics, Yellowhead. We're also doing DIY soapstone, but we're doing 16" x 16" tiles. Can I ask you what type of epoxy you used? We're just finishing up the sub-base--2 layers of 3/4" ply laminated together with WestSystem epoxy. We're planning on using the same epoxy with a slow hardener and graphite powder to tint it black to lay the stones and seam it. Any additional advice? Thanks for sharing!

Susan


RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Loved the photos! Thanks so much for posting. We are also considering doing the soapstone install ourselves. How did you cutout the sink?

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Sweeby, also remember to scar or cut grooves in the edges of the soapstone for the epoxy to have a place to grab. I used a dremel tool for this and it worked GREAT. You can buy a cordless one for $50. Leave a 1/8" min. gap between pieces and then 'butter' them with epoxy using a metal putty knife. Then squeeze the stones together firmly - with manpower or shims. Hold the pieces in place for a few minutes and then see if they try to separate when pressure is released. If so, press it some more. Also tape off the countertop around the edges so there is less sanding of excess epoxy to do. Remove the tape before the epoxy dries.

Garden of Darwin, I don't remember the name of the epoxy we used (Hakime? Akime?). It was jet black. I mixed the hardener and epoxy per the ratios M. Teixiera recommends (2 putty knife scoops of epoxy and a 3/4" squeeze of hardener) and then altered it slightly if I wanted it to harden faster or slower. This ratio gave me 5 minutes of working time. Note my comments above about the epoxy "pushing back" while setting up. Are you trying to have invisible seams or a grout look? If you're trying for a seamless look, take the extra time to make sure your tiles meet up perfectly (height-wise) or you'll be sanding a lot.


RE: DIY Soapstone pics 2

msbellamia, to cut out the sink, first you need to spend 3 sleepless nights worrying that you'll mess it up. Then trace out the hole on the stone and pray to the soapstone Gods. I used a circular saw with a diamond blade and plunge cut the four straight sides. Then I used a tile cutting blade on a jig saw (contractor-grade saw) to cut the curves. You must support the cut-out so it doesn't break away. Then I sanded the corners with a 2" dia. drum sander that attaches to a drill. Then I slept like a baby.

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Absolutely stunning, and it looks as if you still have a beadboard backsplash to install? I would have been so sick doing the cuts--I'm beyond impressed with your skill. I know you will inspire a lot of DIYers.

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Yellowhead

Thanks for the information. I have to say, your seams are beautiful! Just what we hope to achieve. My husband's from a boat building family and is very familiar with epoxy PLUS we spent last summer and the one before cutting slate and flagstone for a 1200 sq. ft. patio, so I think we'll be ok.

I admit that the sink surround has me nervous too, but we're using tiles, so if we screw up a piece, we can always cut another. Yours looks gorgeous--you should be proud! Again, thanks for sharing your pictures. It's always helpful to SEE it.

Susan


RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Thanks for the information - one more question did you add any additional support for your undermount sink or above your dishwasher? I read somewhere they recommended re-enforcement rods - is that necessary?

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Great work! And thanks so much for the pics! They're an inspiration. Now, if we do soapstone, I'll only spend *two* sleepless nights before braving the sink cutout. ;-)

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Yellowhead, I sent your link address to my fabricator with the instructions, "please follow this procedure- these are the results we want!"

Thanks ever so much for sharing- I feel better already!


RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Yellowhead-- "Akemi" :-)

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Wow!!! Absolutely phenomenal job. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

I almost forgot- to what grit is your stone polished? 220? It's just beautiful!

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Amazing! Beautiful! I have bookmarked your pics so DH can study them.

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Yellowhead, you deserve an applause! Excellent work, what confidence...

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Thanks everyone. I spent the weekend installing the beadboard backsplash and I love how it looks. Once I patch the holes and prime it I'll, I'll share more pics.
As far as support under the soapstone goes, we were told that the soapstone needs to be supported every 12". Although our old cabinets had 3/4" boards across the top, the boards were recessed about 1/4" down from the front and back edges of the cabinet. We used long strips of wood (the same strips of wood we used for templating) down the center of the cabinet (left to right) to fill the gap and provide support. So the stone is supported on the front and back edges and in the center.
Yes, Akemi epoxy! Thanks, Bill. Gotta love those fumes!
Pecanpie, M. Teixiera says the Ipanmea Reserve is factory polished with 220 grit, but I used 400 grit to finish. After oiling I can't see a difference.

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Wow - what inspiration! And Garden of Darwin - I'm still anxiously awaiting to hear about your tile/epoxy project. I reserved a slab from Midwest Tile recently, but got nervous because it really was much more soft than I expected ("Original" soapstone, whatever that is). Then I got a tile sample from Vermont Soapstone and OOO-eee! I LOVE it! Much better quality, so I am back to my quandry - pay more than I have money for for the slabs (and those pics really tempt me!) or save 70% and do tiles...

Oh, and what a VIEW, man!!!


RE: DIY Soapstone pics

yellowhead -- I am SO inspired now. So beautiful!! You did the most amazing fabrication job!

I thought soapstone was out of my budget range but I never considered installing myself. Now I have to ask, do you think it's something someone could do if they didn't have lots of experience with circular saw? I've used jig saw and table saw some if that helps. :)

Also, what does soapstone cost if it's completely unfabricated? (I live in Dallas area if that makes a difference.)

Thanks! And again, it just looks amazing -- my DH would probably tell me to stop looking at the pics so I don't even consider DIYing a countertop ourselves. :)


RE: DIY Soapstone pics

We are using 18"x26" soapstone tiles that are 1/2" thick for our countertop. I just finished the island over the weekend. The island is an odd size, so it was alot harder that the regular countertop will be since we had to do alot of cutting, etc. The island has a backsplash and then a small 7" raised top on 2 sides (to hide the range mess!). I'll try to post pictures tonight. We used epoxy instead of grout. I also used thinset to lay them, so it was challenging to get them into the thinset nice and level, then epoxy them.

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

ctaylor6, I bought three 30" x 72" slabs and one 30" x 55" slab. That's about 57 sq feet for $1630, so that's $28.60 per sq foot. I had received two quotes for fabrication which were each $2400 (that's labor only- no material). M. Teixiera is located about 60 miles away from my house so they didn't charge me for delivery (those guys are great!).
As for doing it yourself, you need good, powerful tools. I would suggest you buy a sheet of 1 inch thick plywood and try cutting it with a circular saw using a fence, then try a jig saw, etc. and see how it goes.

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

thanks, yellowhead! I'm going to call M Teixiera for sample today! I just never thought I could afford soapstone. I'm so excited it's even a possibility.

I'll definitely practice with the circular saw! My DH probably can't help there, but my dad has one and can definitely use it. So could a friend who does tons of woodworking. Your pics would be INVALUABLE, and the Teixeira website look really helpful too.

Thanks, again!


RE: DIY Soapstone pics

ctaylors6 - If you decide to take this on, it is recommended to use a diamond (may be over-kill) or carbide-tipped blade on your saw if/when you do it, and make sure there is wood below where you cut, so it doesn't chip - have also heard to tape near the cut so your saw doesn't scratch, and..um.. what else? Oh! Tape the sides of your seams before you epoxy so you have less to clean. I DO NOT speak from experience, but I am about to take the same project on myself too, and have been collecting information. Teixeira has good directions too, you probably saw.

Illinipdx - look forward to seeing your photos now too! Where did you get your large tiles? Could you describe the qualities of the stone used?

I'm so excited there's a group of us doing this!


RE: DIY Soapstone pics

littlea -- thank you so much for the info! I'm definitely saving a copy of this whole thread. I'm looking for a supplier of the soapstone. I called Teixeira today and the shipping to me would almost double cost of the stone, so I posted another thread asking for suppliers in my area for DIY. I ordered samples from Teixeira so will see what DH & I like. I really feel encouraged about DIYing soapstone now though, if I can just find some soapstone. :)
Sweeby, if you read here instead of other thread, thank you for your source in Houston. I'm not giving up in Dallas, but Houston would be no problem. Plus I noticed your soapstone guy is near IKEA. Maybe I can just talk DH into getting cabinets and countertops in one big truck! :)

RE: DIY Soapstone pics

You could do that -- I tried posting over there, but it wouldn't let me... IKEA and Brastone are on the same freeway separated by about 8 miles of under-construction yuck! - But then you'd know all about freeway construction in Dallas!

Good luck with your project and keep us posted!


RE: DIY Soapstone pics

Yellowhead, Bill, I'm on the AKEMI website- which one is this? Are you using the knifegrade-L special black Marmorkitt 1000 epoxy?

And when you 'butter' the stone, do you have (dry and scarred) edges 1/8" apart, and are you pressing the epoxy down into the seam with the knife?

I am going to be my fabricator's worst nightmare...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home