Apr 20, 05: soapstone install problem- need advice
soapstone install problem- need advice
Posted by pecanpie (My Page) on Wed, Apr 20, 05 at 21:31
| Well, after waiting for so long for my soapstone dreams to come true, we're almost there, but there's a hitch. The fabricator mismeasured somewhere, and the sink cutout overlaps the side of the cabinet base on the left- by about 3 inches. They can't cut into that cabinet because one of my dishdrawers slides in there. If we scoot the slab(s) down to the right by 3 inches, we have to lop off on the right and patch (seam) it back onto the left hand side. There will be a seam beginning at the (inside- not the wall side) corner where the two runs meet, and then another perpendicular to it, 3 inches toward the sink. I know, I know- make him do it over. Well, I did not buy my stone from him. The only stones anyone around here can get, I didn't want. I ordered Marianna from Sierra Hills Stone, and the shipping was a quarter of the cost. Heavy stuff. He was willing to fabricate this stone he didn't sell me when no one else was. He is reputable and has done some beautiful work- this is just 'one of those things' I guess. I'm sure I'd have an opinion if this happened to someone else, but since it's me, I'm jello-brained. What do I tell him tomorrow? |
Follow-Up Postings:
RE: soapstone install problem- need advice
| Slide it down, cut it off, and patch it. If it's done carefully and the veining is not too heavy at the cut you won't even notice it. You'll know its there but no one else will. I would not worry about it too much. |
RE: soapstone install problem- need advice
| I agree with RGB1000, Can't even tell where my seams are so a patch would be the same- invisible! Good Luck- I can't wait to see pics if you can. I feel we were in the Soapstone/Granite decision process at the same time- Our soapstone went in 3 weeks ago and is great. Keep a positive attitude all will work out fine! Allison |
RE: soapstone install problem- need advice
| We have made a mistake cutting someone else's material before and have had to buy them a new slab to finish the job so that is what I would expect them to do. It is possible to seam soapstone tightly. If they use polyester adhesive and rehone the area where they are glued together they should be able to patch it so that could be an option. |
RE: soapstone install problem- need advice
- Posted by: janedibber (My Page) on Thu, Apr 21, 05 at 0:11
| what's the point of cutting 3" off the right side, sliding it down 3" and adding the 3" piece to the left side. couldn't you flip it upside down and finish the bottom side?? |

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home