Apr 2, 04: Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
Posted by bsrdesign (My Page) on Fri, Apr 2, 04 at 22:08
We'd been set on honed black granite countertops, but after reading so much negative stuff about it (and having second thoughts about going that dark), I got interested in soapstone and slate as possible alternatives. I picked up samples today at a home center, and we really like the look of the soapstone. It's a nice medium gray. However, I know from my research online that it's usually treated with mineral oil after installation, which will make it darker. My questions for anyone who has soapstone, or knows more about it: 3) How dark does the soapstone eventually get if you oil it repeatedly as recommended? Would it be close to the honed black? |
Here is a link that might be useful: some photos of soapstone countertops
RE: Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
| Here is some info on soapstone countertops - includes info on not oiling the soapstone. |
Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone care
RE: Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
- Posted by: Lily316 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 1:03
| You can wash the oil off w/ just soap and water. I have a piece of ss that's 150 years old..an antique bedwarmer and it has never been oiled. It's a dark mottled grey. I oil when it gets splotchy looking. However the penisula which doesn't get washed as often..(decorative things sit there) stays black looking way longer than heavily used areas. I never do the sink. |
RE: Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
- Posted by: Momto4Kids (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 6:28
| This and the next two photos in the album in the link show a friend's kitchen. They do not oil their soapstone. I wasn't taking the picture to answer your questions specifically, but you should be able to tell. Where they use the counter a lot and where they've wiped the backsplash, the spots are darker. If you look at the 1/2dozen or so pictures before these kitchen photos, you'll see my samples of soapstone I've gotten from various suppliers. I oiled half and left the other half unoiled for comparison. Hope this helps you decide. |
Here is a link that might be useful: Unoiled Soapstone Pictures
RE: Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
- Posted by: Eileen3G (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 8:49
| 1) Oiling is really only for cosmetic purposes. As for scratches, the really pop because the oil layer has been scratched off. W/out any oil, scratches will be less noticable. 2) Oiled ss keeps lightening up as the oil wears off. And if you oil and then change your mind, you could use soap (esp a degreasing dishsoap) to remove the oil and lighten it straight away. 3) SS is very dark right after oiling. I am not that familiar w/ ab black granite, so cannot speak to that. However, to keep it that dark, you need to keep oiling freqently ... and put up with water rings and other little irritations that results from disturbances to the fresh oil layer. I think most of us live with a medium dark gret appearance most of the time. The only caution against NOT oiling is that you will get dark splotches from olive oil, Good luck! |
RE: Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
- Posted by: bsrdesign (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 8:57
| Thanks for all these great replies- exactly the info we needed! Momto4kids, the photos of the oiled and unoiled samples were very helpful. I didn't realize there was so much variation in types of soapstone. One more question for anyone who's done some price comparison...how does soapstone compare to honed AB granite? I really like the soapstone, but if it is way more it may be out of the question. I found prices online averaging about $60-$70 sq. ft. on the soapstone; is that typical? Couldn't find much for pricing on the granite. |
RE: Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
- Posted by: julianne2 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 9:32
| I can't remember the exact amounts, but my soapstone was a little bit more than the estimate I receieved for honed AB. The honed was about $4600 and the soapstone turned out to be $5200. I am very happy with the soapstone. I like the way it looks when the oil has worn off for a day or two. |
RE: Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
- Posted by: corgilvr (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 13:27
| It doesn't really matter if you do not oil it. It is nonreactive to almost anything you subject it to. If you don't like the look after use, oil it! Where it is subjected to greasy things, it will darken. I, personally, love to oil it. I have cherry counters adjacent to soapstone, so they all get the same treatment as well as my hand made bowls, etc. It really is a function of who you are and what you love. But, I ordered my cabinets from a local artisan, primed, painted them myself, bought my own hand turned knobs, and finished my other, cherry, countertops, myself based on the way we would use them. What do you love and how do you use your kitchen? Lowes and Home Depot do not live here! |
RE: Suppose we don't put oil our soapstone?
- Posted by: elektra (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 14:15
| Our soapstone is now 2 years old- the prices you mention seem about right- we paid $ 70 I think. We like the oiled look but over the two years I have been able to increase the interval between oiling from every week to every 2-3 months. |

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home