soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
Posted by
mollyshumom (My Page) on Fri, Apr 2, 04 at 22:31
| I have natural cherry cabinets and soapstone countertops (now oiled and darker) with lots of green/blue in them. I am stuck on what to use for the backsplash...and would appreciate suggestions. Thanks much |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: Booie (My Page) on Fri, Apr 2, 04 at 22:40
| I was going to do soapstone with a light green subway tile backsplash. |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: Paloma2001 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 0:34
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: Lily316 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 0:54
| Ditto..painted beadboard too |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
| I think I read somewhere that beadboard isn't recommended for a backsplash behind a cooktop because it isn't fire resistant. |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
| We just did a four inch soapstone backsplash. The slab came just the right depth so there was four inches left over from the countertop to do the backsplash. I looked at lots of pictures in the photo album of where we purchased the soapstone and it seemed that was what most people did. It made the whole backsplash thing much easier! |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: corgilvr (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 13:17
| Beadboard. Deal with the cooking area as needed. |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: Paloma2001 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 14:17
| Oh, just read the topic line again and I don't have a soapstone counter. I just like the way beadboard looks with it. Re the fire resistant thing. I've seen beadboard ceramic tile. Probably ridiculously expensive, but would satisfy that requirement. Or I have seen a whole soapstone backsplash behind the cooking area and also behind the sink mixed with the beadboard. It looked very nice. I imagine you could get soapstone tiles to match the counter. This might make it a bit cheaper (and thinner) than a soapstone slab. Pal, who will read more closely next time. |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: elektra (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 14:22
| We did a 3 inch soapstone from the counter top and then checkerboard blue/gray tile. We found some that were handmade in mexico with flecks of brown that were just right |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: mollyshumom (My Page) on Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 23:22
| Since the soapstone counter tops are a matte or satin finish when oiled, and they extend 3 inches up the wall, I would like a touch of gloss. My GC is suggesting 4 inch tumbled off-white marble with a row of colored tile accents. I am thinkng that the accent tiles could be a row of green/blue glass tiles. Hmm... |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: Rhodeeo (My Page) on Sun, Apr 4, 04 at 3:20
| we are doing soapstone counters with 6 inch soapstone backsplash. |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: Hadley (My Page) on Sun, Apr 4, 04 at 8:01
| I, too, don't have soapstone, but we do have emerald pearl, which has a dark green almost black ground and mother-of-pearl-like bluish inclusions. We have tumbled botticino, a creamy-whitish almost translucent looking marble with a very slight greenish cast in some tiles (lots of variation). Some tiles also have a rusty vein. I think it would be stunning with soapstone and cherry. It's my preference, but I would go the simpler the better--a row of straight then diagonal or something like that. Subway tiles are great, too. Someone has mentioned that tumbled marble is now coming in the brick shape. I don't know. |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: HamMama (My Page) on Sun, Apr 4, 04 at 10:54
We are having a subway tile that is an off size-2x4 or so-it is a Walker- Zanger tile and is handmade and has a subtle crackle finish. It comes in beautiful colors-we are doing white. |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: rardnek (My Page) on Sun, Apr 4, 04 at 15:43
| Beadboard sounds interesting ... does anyone have pictures? We are having our soapstone installed without a backsplash because we know we want to tile at some point, but I haven't figured out exactly what it will be yet. kendra |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: Lily316 (My Page) on Mon, Apr 5, 04 at 1:37
| I posted pictures of my kitchen 2 weeks ago w/ soapstone counters and beadboard. Maybe you could find them. |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
- Posted by: caride (My Page) on Mon, Apr 5, 04 at 7:13
| We're doing Mexican white subway tile (each tile is handmade and they have a little more dimension than regular subway tile) and beadboard. |
RE: soapstone countertops - what backsplash did you choose?
| We used beadboard on most of the backsplash of our kitchen. The areas behind the sink and stove were covered with like soapstone. Scott |
Here is a link that might be useful: Pat & Scotts' Kitchen
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home