Apr 17, 05: Another Soapstone question

Another Soapstone question

Posted by kitchen_music (My Page) on Sun, Apr 17, 05 at 22:55

New to this wonderful forum - but well into a kitchen renovation. We are certain that soapstone is our choice - but two local Chicago area supplers have provided bids ranging from $123-166 sq ft installed. Is this what we should expect in this area? Seems like lots of the big companies I'm reading about on the forum are in the east - can anyone suggest a more reasonable supplier in this area? I can't imagine selecting soapstone w/o seeing the slab in person. Many thanks for any suggestions!


RE: Another Soapstone question

Green Mountain soapstone thru Hummingbird Woodworks in Glen Ellyn. BUT you can only see the slabs they have on hand not pick your slabs. We are very happy with ours- 65sf installed.

RE: Another Soapstone question

Hi Allison! I've been waiting to hear about how your installation went! Hope all went well and you are completely lovin' those counters! Please post pics if you can!

RE: Another Soapstone question

Oh, Kitchen music! Sorry. I didn't finish my reply to you...I received info from Hummingbird that Allison7 used and in their packet, they estimated about $65/sq. ft. fabricated, delivered and installed, but extra for measurement, templating, cut-outs, special edges. I was wondering if Allison7 found this estimate to be accurate?

Other places that I have found are Chadwick's in Libertyville (by far, the most beautiful SS I've seen, but crazy expensive) and Stonecrafters in Lakemoor. I've also got the number of a guy from WI that I am trying to get more info from right now also.

It does seem to be a challenge to find, especially at a reasonable price, isn't it? I've decided about $85 sq. ft. is the limit for my idea of "reasonable" (price) for my kitchen. =0) I've gotten samples from M Teixeira that I really like best (in my price range), and although it makes me very nervous to order sight unseen, lots of other folks on this forum have had really good luck with M Tex, so I may go this route. We are debating at this moment whether we want to attempt a DIY fabrication or not. Good luck! Let us know what you find and/or decide on.


RE: Another Soapstone question

Thanks - very helpful. My highest quote is for stone from Chadwicks, so I imagine it is wonderful. Won't even look - as I don't want to be tempted! Will be great to know from Allison7 how close to $65 her final cost was, if measurement/templating/cut-outs were additional. And, I agree that the M Tex website is excellent and I've seen only positive reviews here from those who've used them.

RE: Another Soapstone question

I'm in the Chicago area and we had soapstone countertops installed by Hummingbird last December. Although the cost of the material was $65/SF, the installation and upcharges resulted in a final cost of approx. $85/SF. We paid "added charges" for undemount sink installation, site measurement/templating, and an oversize slab carried up two flights of stairs for our kitchen island. We've been very happy with the product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone countertops


RE: Another Soapstone question

Hummingbird templated our counters last week. I'm looking
forward to seeing them installed.

I don't know what stonecrafters offers, but it's very expensive, highest quote we saw.


RE: Another Soapstone question

Mickeynick - we are going to Hummingbird tomorrow afternoon.

Aphilla - would love to hear how it goes, and good luck.

Thanks very much all for the input.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home