Soapstone w/o prominent veins?
Posted by
msbellamia (
My Page) on Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 10:51
| I love the look of soapstone but I don't like to prominent veins. I do like the ss that have color variation. Can anyone recommend a soapstone that has a marbly appearance without the lightning bolt -like veining? I've gotten some samples but the since the sample don't represent the entire piece I'm not sure what to expect. |
RE: Soapstone w/o prominent veins?
| Try Emerald Green and Wavy Ipanema from M.Teixeira. Also, Vermont Soapstone seems to have slabs that have very few markings - I think people on this site have said it's the same stone as another called Marianna soapstone. We have a sample of that and it's not veined. |
RE: Soapstone w/o prominent veins?
| Alberene as far as I can tell does not have a lot of veining. This is an awful picture and probably not a great representation, but this is an old Alberene soapstone hearth and surround. It was removed from an older home our company is remodeling and the home owners were sending it off to the dump ! :o The pieces need to be rehoned, all the marker/paint sanded off and of course this is not oiled. When it's oiled it's a deep mottled black and green as far as I can tell from the sample I have of it. Of course this hearth and surround are probably at least 50 years old.
[click for photo; opens in new window]
|
RE: Soapstone w/o prominent veins?
| Some Vermont Soapstone is marbly and some is veined. I think it is probably unrealistic to think you would have no veins in your kitchen with it, though. Our sample was more marbley, and we have a piece like that behind our stove. The rest of our counters have veins, although there are large sections where they're not that noticeable. My personal take on soapstone is that if you really want NO veins, you should probably go with honed granite. If you want minimal veins, go with one of the types mentioned. It can also help to mention to your fabricators that you are not a big fan of veins... they can cut a slab to feature them or avoid them, or position them in less-visible places. We actually goofed this part up... we love the veins, but forgot to mention it... our counters are minimally veined for the most part, but there were some great veiny scraps left over. :-( |
RE: Soapstone w/o prominent veins?
| My Ipanama Reserve from M. Tiexiera has a "Milky Way" look to it- gray streaks and dots. It has interest but is not overwhelming. You can't really see the pattern from across the room. |
RE: Soapstone w/o prominent veins?
| Make sure you can pick your slab(s). It really differs from slab to slab, even in the same variety of ss. |
RE: Soapstone w/o prominent veins?
| The sample I have from VT Soapstone & Alberne Soapstone are similar in look. The VT one I am told is Mount Holly and not Mariana (like I had thought from other posts that I read here). The one from Alberne is called Alberne. They are both dark charcoal when oiled and do not show viens or really any color variation. They are definately the most uniform in color. They were also by far the hardest stones. There is another sample from Alberne called Churchill and that does have some variaton but not lots. I would also agree with the two from M. Teixeira suggested above. The Emerald Green to me has the most uniform variation but definately a color variation. The Impanema has a very different look. |
RE: Soapstone w/o prominent veins?
| I was going for the same look, and looked at a number of samples. Alberene was the least veiny and the hardest that I found. |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home