Apr 15, 05: how long did you wait for countertops?

how long did you wait for countertops?

Posted by vatopagirl (My Page) on Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 7:41

Hi all - I'd like to take a poll - how long did it take you to get your countertops templated and installed after your cabinets were in? How did you cope in the meantime with cabinets and no counters? Was any part of the kitchen usable?

We've chosen soapstone for our countertops, and Bucks county offers a same day installation. However, they charge considerably more than Texiera, which has a 2-3 week turnaround from templating to installation. Granite fabricator we were talking to originally also had a 2 week turnaround from templating to installation. What is standard? Is a same day countertop install worth a 30% premium?



RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

I think a 2 week turnaround is about average. One place said it would be 4 weeks, but for $250 more they could install in 2 weeks. The fabricator we are going with said it would be 2 weeks, and he doesn't charge any more for that.

Personally I would not pay the 30% more, I think that is a lot, but that is just me.


RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

I would not pay extra. I've haven't had a usable kitchen for 10 weeks, so whats another 2 weeks?

That said, DH has put in the undermount sink and jerryrigged the faucet (which he will take out again for installation). I have 2 large boards on the cabs for some counterspace and have "moved into" the upper cabs (lower ones will probably get too messy with installation). Our soapstone will be templated tomorrow and they said 2 weeks max for installation (I can't wait to rub them!). It is a real pleasure to be able to use the kitchen, but I still wouldn't pay more.


RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

We waited more than 4 weeks between templating and installation. We were told that it was because the color of Zodiaq we wanted was on backorder, but it took them 2 weeks to even produce the drawings for me to sign off on. Even then, 3 pieces had to be recut. I am running across a lot of people locally that say they are told 2-3 weeks, but in reality it ends up being more like 4-6 weeks.

If I had known it was going to be that long, I'd have asked our GC to rig up some temporary plywood countertops and a cheap temporary sink. Even though we had been without a kitchen for 8 weeks at templating, it's almost like I hit a wall at that point, and every add'l day beyond that became ever more frustrating.


RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

they came out on a Thursday to template for my granite and installed the following Thursday. They did a great job and charged no more for the 5 business day turnaround.

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

My Caesarstone is being installed today. They came out on a Tuesday to make the template, and are installing 10 days later (no extra cost). I think I hit it just right because the installer originally told me 10 days to 2 weeks, and I've heard of others who waited 3 weeks or mor.

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

I waited 5 days from template to install of Granite.
The Laminate counters in the eating room took three weeks.

Go figure


RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

I got my soapstone counters from Bucks County Soapstone Company, and I can tell you it was the most hassle-free part of the remodel. They were in my area they day after my cabinets were installed so they came to template. Then the following day they came back and installed the soapstone. Fabulous service!!

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

I am a KD....For the fabricators I use, here's what the lead times are:

Granite: 2 weeks The main problem is getting on their template schedule. If you don't schedule well ahead of time, you're out of luck. So, once I order cabinets, I schedule the template and install date at that time. Even if the cabinet install runs late, I am on the schedule and they can accommodate me.

Caesartsone & Zodiaq: 3 weeks The fabricator I use for these brands has "in house" templating and installing. They run a tight ship and we rarely have problems.

Silestone: 3 weeks, but the fabricator I use has subs for templating and installing. This has proved to be a nightmare and most jobs are done between 4-6 weeks! We have not done one job in 6 months that went smoothly. We are not using them anymore unless someone insists on a Silestone color. We don't have a problem at all with Silestone, their colors are beautiful.


RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

Our marble was installed 2 weeks after templating. They could have done it in 1 week but the rest of the kitchen wasn't quite ready for the install yet.

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

Thanks for all the comments. I like the plywood counter idea. Buglady, did Bucks County charge you for all the extra "cuts" in the soapstone? Texiera is quoting $80 per sq. foot installed, which includes everything except drain runnels. Bucks County has quoted us $85 per square foot installed, and then they are also charging extra for every cut and turn in the counter, sink cut outs, etc. It makes them so much pricier than Texiera that we're thinking their estimate must be wrong.

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

My bill was itemized, and it did show the charges for the sink cutout, cutouts for the DW attachments and 2 notches for the window sill. I had a soapstone window sill installed behind my sink.

I did not get drain runnels.

Sorry to hear that you are not happy dealing with Bucks County Soapstone Company. I did not get a quote from Teixiera, and I have no first-hand knowledge of their operation.

I have only heard good things about BCSC. All through this forum, of course. But I also had the pleasure of meeting 2 other satisfied BCSC customers at a TKO get-together a couple of months ago.

We all really love our experience with BCSC, and we love our soapstone. I hope you have a good experience too, whichever way you choose.

Here is a picture of corgilver, skivino, and myself with Scott, the owner of BCSC, at the Greater Philadelphia Historic Home Show at the Valley Forge Convention Center.

You can see pics of my remodel under the link on My Page.

Here is a link that might be useful: TKO get-together


RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

I did Corian, and had the new countertop & integrated sink installed 3 days after the bottom cabinets went in.

Most people were quoting two weeks, but I found a guy who agreed to a 3 day turnaround. He cost me $200 more than HD quoted, but he also did some nice "craftsman style" details that HD never would have done.

Because of this guy, we only went without a kitchen sink for 3 days.


RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

Our Corian was ordered June 30 and installed mid September last year. Took a long time.

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

The stone people came out to do the template, then I told them to hold everything b/c I wanted to check out ss somewhere else, then decided to go with the original people. I just got the price and I have to give them half up front, and the rest after, and she told me it would be 2-3 weeks. These countertops are the last thing in the renovation, and I am desperate to move back into our house. So, hopefully they will work closer to the 2 week mark than the 3 weeks. I am doing Green Mountain Original. I just want them in, in, in!!!!!

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

  • Posted by: sloz (My Page) on Sat, Apr 16, 05 at 21:32
2 days - from measure to install for granite.

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

I just went to our countertop person yesterday, and he's saying at least six weeks from now (end of May). He's busy; I hope that means he's GOOD!

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

We used Teixeira last fall for our Cobra soapstone. The turnaround then was one week. We used plywood boards on our large island top until they returned and that was more than fine. Teixeira was great and the installers very good. They have been growing by leaps and bounds, it seems, through good business practices; I hope that continues as they grow. Photos of our Teixeira installation are on My Page.

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

I was told by the KD that if we wanted to use Silestone for our counter replacement it would take 2 weeks after the templating to be installed. On the other hand Corian could be templated and installed on the same day. Some mobile Corian lab pulls up in front of your house and they are able to produce the counter on location.

RE: how long did you wait for countertops?

We bought pre-fab granite. The next day, it was installed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our kitchen remodel (photos)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home